Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 18 – “The Graduation”

 

Quite the busy day.  Not at my desk, though.  It started out at Mod's Coffee Shop in Beautiful Downtown Galveston.  A group of four guys met together (one of them was me) to get to know each other better and to pray together for each other and for Galveston.  Two of us were pastors, one was a church staff member and one was in the process of starting a social ministry here in town.  It was great to get to know something about the heart we all have for the city.  It was even better hearing each other pray for it.  I'm looking forward to the next time we can do it, which looks like the week after Thanksgiving.

 

After the meeting I realized I was just thee or four blocks away from the Seaport Museum.  They have a real drilling rig set up that can be toured, so our kids from Seaside Christian Academy went on a field trip there today.  I went by and met up with them for the last half of their tour.  It was fun to hang out with the kids, and I was really surprised at how impressive the exhibits were.

 

This afternoon I went to a funeral for a man younger than I am – in his forties.  That's always a sobering experience.  Makes the reality of death hit closer tro home.  I didn't really know the guy, but his sons have come to Seaside youth events before.  They are really good kids.  I spent some time after the service talking to the pastor who led it.  The actual pastor of the church was there, but he just did one small part.  The guy I knew, Ray, then finished out with the majority.  I've known Ray for some time.  He has been active in ministering to senior adults on the Island for years.  I think he used to be a missionary somewhere in South America, too.  He was quite often at the nursing home where my Dad was, just hanging out with the people.  

 

Ray told me this particular memorial service was difficult for him.  Not because it was a cremation or even because he was particularly close to the family.  His comment was, "The funerals I usually do are for people 80 and 90 years old.  They are more like a graduation."  I like that.  Death for Christians is graduating and heading on to the next phase of life.  No matter how old you are. 

 

Revelation 21:3-4 says, "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.'"

 

Father, That family is getting a lot of hugs right now.  Would you save one for when everybody is gone and give them one of yours?  They're gonna need it.  Amen.


No comments: