Thursday, September 9, 2010

September 9 – “Rice”

 

Now such talk of life was the order of the day in the presence of the Queen.  After such a long ordeal in restoring the living quarters to an even grander state than they had been, the Queen ached to return to her pride and joy, the renowned Yarrow And Ramtil Domain.

 

The earlier battles she had fought and won so decisively seemed but a myth, a wisp of a thought in the furthest reaches of her mind.  Yet this was, after all, our Queen.  And she had, you remember, subdued these forces once before.  Why then could she not do it again?  Why indeed.  The challenge she faced in once again invading the dreariness of the Yarrow And Ramtil Domain was as but a blank canvas to the inner artist of the Queen.  She simply smiled and pulled protective cloths over her hands and began, one small patch at a time.  Now she was not at all jealous of her territory or her task.  She even brought in other settlers from the outside to share in the charge of beautifying the land. 

 

Why does rice work like it does?  Nathan and April and Cailyn brought over a roast for lunch today.  My job was to get the rice started.  I didn't even know where the rice was kept, but I said I would take care of it.  We did have the roast and some green beans and some corn.  And we even had the rice.  Thankfully I remembered from somewhere way back in my head hearing Chris say to put in twice as much water as rice.  So that's what I did.  Along with two cups of rice.  So why is that?  Why do you have to put twice as much into it?  That's like preparing for a sermon or something.  I have to put in all kinds of time to make a teaching come out on the other side.  And then I have to spend even more time to pare it down to a manageable length for Sunday morning.  The more time I spend, the shorter I can make it. 

 

But rice doesn't work that way.  You put in the two cups of rice and add four cups of water.  Everything fits quite nicely.  Plenty of room to spare.  Until the heat gets turned up.  The water starts soaking into the rice and you end up with five times as much as you had when you started.  The more rice you put in, the more likely it becomes that you will have to lift up the lid when it starts boiling over.  A little rice, a little more water, mixed in just the right amounts, grows into a huge pile.  A little sin, a little more opportunity, mixed in just the right amounts, grows into … a mess.

 

 All I can say is that I'm glad Nathan was here.  He eats rice like it was candy, and  a lot of it. 

 

2 Corinthians 13:11 says, "Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you."

 

Father, help us get to the one mind place, because I for one sure want to get to the be with you place.  Amen.

 


No comments: