Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30 – “Facebook fiasco”

 

Well, Facebook officially booted me off for two days. It seems they didn't like me being in Texarkana, Arkansas, any more than I did.  They let me get back in to fix everything, though.  But only after we got to Eureka Springs.  I'm glad we don't go through Texarkana on the way home.

 

When we checked into the hotel the guy was asking numerous questions, chatting me up to cover up the fact that it was taking him longer than he expected.  One of the questions involved where we were from.  That led to a discussion of the Great Flood of '08 in Galveston.  I told him we were enjoying seeing trees, because all the trees in Galveston are dead.  One corner of his mouth turned up ever so slightly, and he said, "I gave you all the trees you can handle right outside your window."  I guess that's good. 

 

In fact it did turn out good.  As we were getting settled in, Chris went outside to take a picture of the view out our window.  Yes, Mama Chris has the camera again.  We will have a video record of this trip.  She very carefully eased back into the room and whisper-shouted, "Kelley, Come here."  I couldn't imagine what was wrong, but of course I went there.  The view from our balcony was indeed grand.  We were right up next to the woods.  And right at the edge of the tree line stood two deer, and both had very nice racks of antlers. She got severaql pictures before they eased away.

 

The Pine Mountain Jamboree was a lot of fun.  There were probably 20 people in the audience, so they did a lot of entertaining from the floor in front of the stage.  One guy in the band was a real kindred spirit, shall we say.  He was a goofball.  Changed clothes ten times or more.  Wore wigs and ladies clothes and a very cool hat that changed shape. 

 

The inevitable question finally came up this afternoon.  We were heading back to the hotel to crash for awhile before we went to see the Passion Play.  We were going up and down some little side street shortcut I found that was going to lead us back into the downtown area – again.  Funny thing about the downtown area here.  It looks and feels just like the Strand on steroids during motorcycle rally weekend.  Shop after shop of tourist trap stuff.  And it is motorcycle rally weekend.  Combined with "I drive a corvette, look at me" weekend.  Lots of people, bikes and corvettes.  Anyway, Chris asked me if I was relaxed yet just as we entered yet another blind curve and met a trolley coming right at us.  I paused a moment, then replied, "I guess since I'm still grinding my teeth, I have to say no."  But I think it's getting there.

 

Isaiah 9:2 says, "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.

 

Father, thanks for the light.  Play it over and over again.  Amen.


No comments: