Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6 – “Electricians and a roof”

 

Last night we had fifteen people spend the night at our house.  Not the one in Omega Bay.  Our house.  On Sycamore.  They slept on air mattresses spread all over the floor.  A group of Baptists from Brownwood came down to put a roof on our house and to install bathrooms at Seaside.  They had a big travel trailer in the driveway and trucks and a van parked in the street.  It looked like the Vaughans were home.  Today they started putting a roof on our house.  It was pretty amazing to be a part of helping these guys.  One was a retired contractor.  Another guy obviously knew what he was doing with the shingles.  Then they had a bunch of other guys like me who were pretty good at doing as we were told.  There were three or four teenagers, too.  They were doing everything they could to get finished today.  They wanted to spend the day tomorrow at the beach.  There were two ladies who were responsible for cooking for the entire group.  And the food was really good.  Tomorrow we're having fajitas for lunch and brisket for supper.  This is suffering for the Lord?  Glad I'm around.

 

The electricians were there today, too.  It was kind of chaotic with everybody tromping on the roof and cleaning up the grounds and pulling wires.  But the roof looks great.  They only have the front part of the roof to go and they'll be finished with the shingles.  They are not going to do the roll roof part.  We'll get someone else to do that before we call the engineer to approve the windstorm certificate.

 

Before I joined the group at the house, I went out to Seaside with the other team.  They were going to convert a storeroom into some showers.  The plumber needed to see the area with his own eyes, then he asked me to take him over to City Hall to talk to the permit people.  I went in earlier this week and paid the fees.  They just had a few questions about exactly how he planned to build.  He answered the questions while she took notes on a sticky pad.  Then she asked us to wait a few minutes while she had a blue copy made for us.  And that was that.  In about five minutes total we had the permit.  They got a big portion of the job done today.  Shouldn't take too much to finish up tomorrow.  Then we just have to call the inspector before we hang sheetrock. 

 

I went to the doctor earlier this week.  He took a bunch of my blood to see if he could figure out why I've been so extremely tired lately.  I mean tired to the point of getting dizzy and forgetting things.  I got the results today.  Most of the stuff was normal, but the thyroid thing was off.  The first step in dealing with that is increased cardio activity.  I think that means I have to exercise to keep from taking some medicine later on. 

 

Psalm 9:1-2 says, "I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."

 

Father, please take charge of my thyroids and cardios.  Amen.


No comments: