Wednesday, March 11, 2009

March 11 – “Duct Tape is for Ducts”

 

We had to run to Sam's this morning.  This Sunday is dinner on the grounds at church, so we had to replenish the kitchen supplies.  After lunch I left to teach at Seaside Christian Academy.  I had the kids tell me the story of Noah.  Then we watched the rest of the movie Evan Almighty.  They did a good job noticing parallels with the Noah story.  They all stayed awake, too.  Always a good sign.

 

After class I hurried to meet Nathan and April and Cailyn at the house.  Nathan and I were going to McCoy's to pick up the insulation.  When I drove up to the house the air conditioning guys were there and hard at work.  They already had the vent boxes up and had begun running duct work.  The boss said they wanted to get as much done today and tomorrow as possible, because they didn't want to be there Friday when the sheetrockers come in.

 

Nathan and April were in Mom's garage going through some of their boxes.  They hope to move into an apartment by the first of April, so they wanted to see what they still have to buy.  It was fun to hear April cry out, "Look what made it!"  I told them we'd be doing the same thing in a few weeks.  Cailyn slept through the whole thing.

 

We finally got to McCoy's and I realized that I didn't have the receipt we needed to pick up the insulation.  I called Chris, but got her voice mail.  So Nathan called April and had her ask Chris to get the receipt.  Chris was talking to her Mom through all this.  While still talking, Chris got her keys and purse and headed to our rescue.  Then we met problem number two.  The receipt was supposed to be yellow instead of white.  I had to go inside to retrieve the right one before we could get the stuff.  We got it all loaded in our two trucks.  As we pulled out to leave I saw Chris and Nathan talking to a Billy, a Seasider who moved last year.  He was back in town doing some work.  It was great to see him and hear about his family.  It's always a little bittersweet to see someone who has gone out from our midst.

 

We took the insulation back to the house, and after we unloaded it all, Nathan noticed that we had the wrong size for the ceiling.  It was supposed to be fifteen inches wide and we had twenty-four inches.  Nathan said he noticed because he got to thinking that 24 inches was a long way to reach in his bunker gear.  We'll have to take it back in the morning before we get started.

 

We noticed something else as well.  The AC guys actually used duct tape to hold up a few of the ducts.  We laughed at that.  Why in the world would they use something for its intended purpose, especially duct tape?

 

    

Psalm 139:14 says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

 

Father, you made us for the purpose of praising you.  That's beautiful.  And wonderful.  Amen. 


No comments: