Monday, March 16, 2009

March 16 – “Stress Day”

 

Can you say, "Stress"?  Want to know how to spell stress?  T-O-D-A-Y.

 

Chris got a call from her mom.  She said it was hard for her to talk on the phone because she was so short of breath.  She has fluid in her lungs again.  Not only that, she also has to have a bone scan now, so there is a possible spread of the cancer there.  She wants to come here for lunch one day this week to see Caleb (and Josh and Christi and Zak, too).  She wants to hold Helmut and Hilda at the same time (That would be Caleb and Cailyn).  We'll get that set up.

 

It occurred to me today that I have no idea when I'll have time to work on the teaching for next Sunday.  I'm so glad I discovered teaching through a book.  So … what's next in the life of David?

 

We had a lot of people in our house.  They asked me yesterday to be there to let them in by 8.  We were there.  Only one other guy was.  The three of us set out cleaning up the workplace.  Others arrived much later, and we eventually had a house full.  As a result, we really got a lot done.  Insulation is finished everywhere.  Sheetrock is popping up all over the house.  That place is beginning to look a little like a house inside now. 

 

We also have people at Seaside.  There were a bunch at service Sunday, and they were scheduled to start work on framing today.  I got a call from our building guy sometime today.  He shares my concern that the volunteers are not sure of their assignments or of who is the Big Guy in charge for the week (I mean besides God!).  I sent an email out to see if we had been assigned someone to do our roof or not.  We'll see.  I want to get out there at least for awhile tomorrow.  Josh is bringing a group of youth down Wednesday to work as well. 

 

Did I mention that our windows were supposed to be delivered today?  They weren't. 

 

The most stressful event of this world class most stressful day was a family matter.  An offer was made to buy Mom's house.  It was a pretty good one.  We probably wouldn't get a better one.  The problem is they are not family.  Mom still considers it her house, and she seems to really want to keep it in the family somehow.  Nathan and April would really like to buy it, but they can't get a loan for a house that is not move-in ready.  And they can't afford to match the offer anyway.  Chris and I talked about it, and we'd like to buy it, but we can't match that offer, either.  My brother and his wife called to talk about it.  I told him we would get with our boys and see what they thought about it, but we would like to buy it for a lower price than the offer.  I don't want any family drama, though.  I just want Mom to be happy.  If it causes any problems, I would rather sell it and be done with it. 

 

Matthew 6:33-34 says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

 

Father, I know I'm not supposed to worry.  But today is super-stress day.  Be stronger than my stress.  Amen.


No comments: