Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2 – “Complete Physical”

 

Well, today was one of the most rip-roarin,' rootin'-tootin,' wish-I-could-have-been-somewhere-else kind of days I have ever had.  We went into town to drop off the Explorer to have it inspected.  Just found out a few minutes ago that it's not going to happen until tomorrow.  OK, I can live with that.

 

We also went by the house to put some mail out and check out the electricians.  No electricians.  We went back by later on.  The mail was gone.  So were the electricians.  In a they-were-never-there-in-the-first-place kind of way.  Haven't heard from our contractor, either, so I guess we try again tomorrow.

 

Then I went to a doctor's appointment.  This one was for me.  I have been feeling constantly fatigued for about two months.  I guess some of the blogs have reflected that.  I've been able to force myself to do some things.  Like sermons and carrying stuff around the house and cleaning the fireplace.  But by mid-afternoon I am exhausted.  On top of that, I have lost twenty or thirty pounds, most of it just since the storm.  I don't weigh myself much, so I really have no idea how much I have lost.  I know that before the storm and my surgeries, I was wearing size 36 jeans.  Kel bought me a few pair of 34's right after the storm, and now I have to tighten my belt to keep them comfortable.  I guess that's not altogether bad, but I also haven't done any aerobic exercise since the storm.  You know, the stuff you think of when you want to lose weight – running and pumping iron and exercises.  I've experienced dizziness several times.  Hey, I've even had trouble remembering simple things.  If I have overlooked you or something lately, please forgive me.

 

Anyway, I had to see a new doctor, which meant I was a new patient, which meant I had to fill out a boatload of paperwork.  At least all they wanted was my copay.  The new guy was nice.  Very professional.  Very serious.  He asked fifty or sixty questions, entered my answers in the computer, then said he was going to do a complete physical.  I had visions of those letter tests – EKG, EEG – those wire things.  No.  "Complete physical" means it includes one very simple test.  The simplest test.  For him.  Quite uncomfortable for me.  And he promised another test in my near future.  One I've had before.  Once.  The colonoscopy.  It's not as evil as a myelogram because they at least give you that forget-it drug.  But I think I may pass on that one when the time comes.  I also have to go back at 8:00 in the morning for a blood test.  And the blood test won't be any good unless I don't eat anything after 8:00 tonight.  Time to cram.  And the bottom line is, I don't know any more about why I feel crummy than I did before I endured this ordeal.

 

Ephesians 6:13-14 says, "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."

 

Father, I want to stand.  Today I'd be happy just to sit.  As long as it's in your presence.

 


No comments: