Tuesday, July 30, 2019

July 30 – “Recuperation Day … Rough Night”


I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.  Our two weeks of constant motion, hurrying here and waiting there and eating strange foods and wearing dress-up clothes and carrying suitcases and lugging backpacks, all at what amounted to three hours later than we were used to (Or was it earlier?  I have no idea), is apparently finally catching up to us.  And not just us.  We heard than Cary is still feeling pretty puny, and KayLynn and he have both developed a nasty cough.  Sure hope the Sprays have been spared.

I slept in until seven because I couldn’t fall asleep until after eleven.  Come on body.  Get back on Galveston time.

I started working on stuff for church, a sermon and the like.  When Chris got us she watered the grass and began the ordeal of washing our 85 pounds of dirty clothes. 

Lunch was Whataburger.  An easy choice when there is really no food in the house except a can of corned beef hash.  Oh and some leftover Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Not ours, though.  We found out later it was from the day Nathan and his family came over to have dinner with Freddy.  They didn’t want it, though.  Now we had something for supper.  By the way, that Freddy is one spoiled dog.  While we were gone she got to visit her cousins Tilly, Abby, and Scooter.  She also had a play date with her neighbor across the street, Max. 

Other than Chris’ persistent laundrying it felt like we were both still in a daze.  Lauren came by after work to chat a bit.  I hope I didn’t sleep through too much of the conversation.  It was great to see her and hear about the ministry opportunities that have continued to pop up at Seaside while we were gone.  And Chris did regale her with a story or two about whales and puppy dogs. 

We tried to watch some TV.  All we could handle was some house restoration show on DIY Network.  I kept waking up during a commercial because I forgot to fast forward.  At one point Chris brought in ice cream in a valiant effort to recreate our late-night escapades on the cruise ship.  I’m just glad we didn’t have any high stakes card games to play.  I don’t think I could have told an ace from a queen. 

Neither of us slept much last night.  Chris started coughing.  I was just really hot.  Temperature hot.  I’m used being to the other kind of hot.  We finally set up an extra fan, and that helped a lot.  I’m not sure how much after midnight it was when I finally dozed off.  We didn’t get up until after eight this morning.  That’s a record for me.  But the, it was only five in Alaska …

Oh, well.  Maybe I’ll be able to focus a little better today.  Dentist at 2.  Haircut tomorrow.  Oral surgeon follow-up Thursday at nine.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc. …

Isaiah 12:2 says, “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.  The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.”

Father, I give you today.  I pray that you will make something more of it than I could by myself.  Amen.

No comments: