Saturday, July 13, 2019

July 13 - “Annnnnnd ... here we go”

“Nope.  Not quite ready yet.  Still have to water the plants.  Wait.  I still have a few plants I forgot to take outside.  OK.  Just a minute.  Let me check the packing one more time. (I’m not sure how much she remembered from when she did that at 3 a.m.).  What should we set the AC on for while we are gone?”  Sigh.  Those are just a few of those last-second thoughts Chris had yesterday when we were trying out best to leave.  We finally got out of the house and headed for Arlington (our first leg stop) around 10:30.  I had to physically boot her out.  Well, let’s just say I “encouraged her with a gentle love tap to the posterior.”

First stop?  Bucees, of course.  It’s become kind of the WalMart of the road.  But hey, you have to get gas and food somewhere, right?

Traffic was ... interesting.  Not that it was terrible, but we hit several really slow spots.  No construction or accidents ... just slow.  Usually it was because a big rig needed to pass another big rig ... on a hill.  It happens, but slowly.

I have had some toothless pain.  Tylenol helps take the edge off.  The surgeon estimated that I should be at 80-95% by now.  I guess that’s somewhat accurate, if you can assume a fluctuation rate as part of the overall experience.  I did sleep until 4 a.m., though.  That’s a plus.  Chris has been great through this.  She even suggested I call my old dentist up here and see if he can give me a quick once-over just for peace of mind.  Tempting at 4 a.m.  Don’t think Blair would have appreciated it at that hour.  She just wants me to enjoy the vacation.  Maybe at a reasonable hour ...

John 15:15 says, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business.  Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.”

Father, we are getting just a little excited.  Pease make the road - and the skies - smooth for us today.  Amen.

No comments: