Friday, February 8, 2019

February 8 – “Back in the swing …”


We had early Cailyn to school duty yesterday.  She had before-school choir practice, so that meant she had to be there before 7 a.m.  That also meant good ol’ Nani had to be out of bed while it was still dark outside.  Ouch.

We took our walk after I finally figured out where on my phone were the pictures from this weekend’s jaunt so I could download them to the computer.  I knew there was one video that would be taking up a lot of space.  I captured the entire halftime show with its star performer Luke.  Pretty big file.  Pretty impressive performance.  Oh, and speaking of impressive performances, Nathan informed me that I was summarily chewed out by Nurse April when she saw the Jacob’s Ladder pictures.  Seems I was overdoing my “take it easy” admonition.

So, the walk … Two miles.  Well, Chris did three.  I came on home and got started on that dreaded February task of mowing and edging the yard.  Yep.  It’s the dead of winter here on our tropical island paradise, and we are having to mow the grass.  Welcome to our world.  At one point Chris brought me a glass of water and said, “You know, it hasn’t been that long that you couldn’t walk AND mow AND edge.  You had to just pick one thing.”  Yep. And even picking that one thing, I was generally exhausted when I got through.  Her thoughts were certainly encouraging, but this morning I am remembering those days.  I’m sore again.  It’s worth it though, to actually accomplish something. 

We picked Cailyn up from her after-school activity so she could complete her homework assignment (ah, the dreaded essay) before her choir concert.  It’s been a long time since we had to do the “homework before extra-curricular activities” thing.  She did a pretty good job though. 

I took her to the concert so Chris could be the hostess for those arriving at home group.  I would have to say that the choir from Oppe Elementary School really shined (shone?).  They sang four or five songs from Broadway musicals.  Cailyn was … animated.  She stood front and center and sang with her heart and arms and legs.  Loved it.  I also got it all on video.  Problem was, I couldn’t send it to her parents because the message file was too big.  I’m trying a mail drop option now.  Next in line is a simple copy to a blank dvd disc. 

As it turned out, I was home before anyone arrived for home group.  Then our neighbor asked for a ride to the pharmacy to pick up her medicine.  Chris gave her a ride.  While she was gone, a few folks arrived, and when Chris got back we did some singing and praying together.  Oh, and Brennan and his Mom finished decorating his Valentines box for school.  Nice job, Janell.

Psalms 139:7-10 says, “Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”

Father, thank you for the beautiful voices of children singing.  Nothing quite like it.  Amen.

No comments: