Monday, February 25, 2019

February 25 – “An unexpected blessing”


I had an interesting experience before church yesterday.  Before I share it, you have to understand one little tidbit of background.  Galveston has been shrouded in fog for at least a week.  Cold, foggy, often rainy, for the most part just plain yucky winter weather.  But yesterday was different.  The fog cleared.  The clouds drifted away.  And for most of the day we had absolutely gorgeous weather.  A little cool, but we can live with mid-60’s coolness.  Just a beautiful day all around.

Now back to the story.  One of our great laymen, Mr. Bob, asked me to join him in the Fellowship Room before we got started.  He led me over to a part of the room that faces Southeast.  He eased me around with my back to the blinds that cover a floor to ceiling window.  He reached behind me and slowly opened the blinds, allowing the sun to shine fully through.  I was still admittedly perplexed by this time, but certainly intrigued.  I fully expected him to just grab my hands and pray for me, as he does most Sunday mornings that he is in town.  This time was a little different. 

As the long-missing sunshine fell on my back, Bob placed his hands on my shoulders and quietly said, “Do you feel that?  As you feel the warmth of the sun flowing on your body, may you also feel the warmth of the Holy Spirit flowing over you and inside of you as you share God’s word with us today.”  Then he took my hands and prayed for God to use the words he had given me to touch some hearts.  Wow.  Certainly one of the best blessings I have ever received. 

Psalms 91:1 says, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”

Father, may you continue to bless Bob as well in his ministry with men’s Bible study in his home, with his wife, and with his fishing.  Amen.

No comments: