Wednesday, February 13, 2019

February 13 – “Installation 101?”


Yesterday I spent a lot of time on the phone and at the computer.  The computer work was pretty much funeral-related, as were the phone calls.  We have to coordinate venues, since the funeral is at a church and the visitation is at the funeral home, and the graveside is in another place still, another town, even.  There are still some details to work out, so I’ll probably be chatting on the phone a lot today as well.

We did get the call back from Ideal Lumber Company.  That’s the outfit that we bought our patio door from back in 2009 after Hurricane Ike.  They were checking on the price of replacing the door that was shattered last week.  The first words out of his mouth (after the obligatory pleasantries, of course)?  “Are you sitting down?”  Never a good start to a conversation.  Sur enough, he quoted a pretty hefty price.  I suppose it was comparable to what we paid back in ’09, with inflation and all.  Still pretty hefty.  I assured him we weren’t mad or anything, and we really appreciated the help he had given us.  We would just need some time to think about whether we could handle that much money.  I guess he appreciated our appreciation, because he paused a moment, then said, “Wait a minute.  Can I call you back?  I want to make one more phone call.”  Puzzled, I hung up and waited for his call.

And it came almost immediately.  This time his first words, without pleasantries, were, “Mr. Vaughan, I think you should go out and buy a lottery ticket.  Right now.”  Well, that was a bit more encouraging than “Are you sitting down?”  Excitedly, he proceeded to explain that whoever he talked to had cut the price by 73%.  They have to order it, so he asked if he could come over and verify all the measurements within the hour.  Whew.  That’s some fast work.  As it turns out it will take between three and five weeks to get here from the manufacturer.  Then we have to figure out how to do the installation.  He said it was “Door installation 101.  Easy stuff.”  Right.  Chris immediately suggested a call to Nathan when it gets here.  Sounds like a plan. 

So … lottery ticket?  I think not.  I think maybe it’s more that my Lord might be taking an interest in the little things.  He does that, you know?

Psalms 139:15-16 says, “My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

Father, thank you that we can trust you even in the little things that don’t seem to matter all that much in the grand scheme of life.  I appreciate you being a “Little Things” God as well as the “All mighty” one.  Amen.

No comments: