Saturday, February 2, 2019

February 2 – “Barry Bonds and the Cyrillian Warbler”


Chris really surprised me yesterday.  She told me that I should get back into my long-time hobby of baseball card collecting.  Well, actually it was Cailyn who kind of breached the topic, ignited the spark.  Seems she is doing a report for school on major league baseball player Barry Bonds.  I’m not at all sure why he was in the mix to choose from, but, hey, a baseball player is a baseball player, right?  After we heard about the report I rummaged through one of my baseball card tubs until I managed to find a card of Barry Bonds for her.  It was from back when he was just a really good, all-star caliber player for the Pittsburgh Pirates.  Long before he (allegedly) discovered steroids and became a muscle-bound beast.  Hope she can use the card in her report somehow.  But back to the collecting.  My next goal is to complete the set of 1961-62 (It came out over two years) Fleer Baseball Greats.  I have most of the second issue, since I started collecting cards in 1962.  And our research yesterday indicated that the 1961 set should be much easier - and cheaper – to find.  And it does appear that there are a myriad of places to begin online.  Not as much fun as gong to card shows and little shops, but I guess we all have to adapt. 

In the afternoon we took our walk and did our stair-walking.  I still did lunges up on the deck in between flights of steps.  It wears me out, but I think it’s really helping the knee rehab.  Afterward we rested a bit in our new patio chairs.  That’s when we saw a fascinatingly cute little blueish bird flitting about our bushes.  I tried to get a picture, but it would stay still long enough.  It obviously wasn’t a hummingbird, which we see all the time, so Chris grabbed her trusty iPad mini and looked it up.  Best we can figure it was a Cyrillian Warbler.  Sounds like a creature on Star Trek to me …

Psalms 138:7 says, “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me.”

Father, thank you for sharing that tiny bit of your creation with us.  It was beautiful.  Amen.

No comments: