Tuesday, February 19, 2019

February 19 – “Hallelujah”


Yesterday we were hosts again.  The festivities didn’t begin right away, though, so I spent the best part of the morning toiling over a hot … computer.  I wanted to get as much of my Monday stuff done as possible since my concentration level was destined to shrink when our guests arrived. 

And as for those guests … Cailyn was among them.  Yesterday was a school holiday, so instead of taking her there, her parents brought her here.  Also among the guests were not five … not four … not three … but two of the LaMarque Vaughans.  They were having some logistical problems with birthday parties and baseball games in Cypress, Texas.  We ended up with Ezra and Josiah, which worked well for us.  Cailyn had a little one to nurture and one about her size to actually play with. 

Speaking of Ezra … he entertained us all, as you can imagine a two-year-old doing.  Non-stop movement and often a lot of talking as well.  I couldn’t always understand what he was saying, though.  And when it became evident that I didn’t know where he was coming from, he would quite patiently repeat what he said … over and over and over.  Sometimes I got it and sometimes I didn’t.  And when I didn’t he kept going until I could formulate an appropriate (to him) “Uh-huh” or “OK” or even “Got it.” 

Two-year-olds do eventually run down though.  Chris and I were talking about how much more we have to have to pay for our trip to Alaska.  Not the most exciting conversation when you are two.  He crawled up in my lap, and before I knew it he was limp as a dishrag.  Fast asleep.  Made me proud.  And a little jealous. 

The best surprise of the day came, however, after he woke up.  He was obviously groggy, and when he finally eased down off my lap, he stumbled around the room, looking at … nothing in particular.  Finally his eyes locked with mine.  Just the hint of a grin came over his face.  And in his clearest voice of the day, he proclaimed, “Hallelujah!”  Well, I gotta tell you, that was unexpected.  Certainly welcome, but unexpected nonetheless.  So what could I do, but reply with a little “Hallelujah” of my own.  And that became our family mantra for the rest of the evening … spontaneous declarations of “Hallelujah.”  Great evening.

Revelation 19:1-2 says, “After these things I heard something like a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying, ‘Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God’”

Father … Hallelujah.  Just Hallelujah.  Amen.

No comments: