Sunday, April 9, 2017

April 9 – “Finished”

We are finished.   Done.  Absolutely nothing left to do.  It is over.  I for one never want to even go there again.  No, I’m not talking about our marriage.  As far as I can tell we are still OK on that front.  I’m talking about painting the house.  Yesterday we spent the entire day outside doing tag team duty on the painting and yardwork.  Chris started out painting while I mowed the lawn, another task that we have been putting off while we worked on the house.  Well, not just mowing.  I mean yardwork in general.  Chris has slowly cleared out flower beds, but we hadn’t done our yearly weed ‘n’ feed drop … until Chris accomplished it during her turn off the ladder yesterday. 

So, after I mowed, it worked out where Chris was just about finished with what she could reach on the eaves.  So we switched out.  She took over the weed eating and weed ‘n’ feeding.  I crammed the ladder up against the hedges and perched precariously to reach the final stretch of white-paint-needing trim.  But that was not all.  Oh, no.  I still had to do all the touch up – the punch-out list of tiny little specs of blue/gray on white and white on blue/gray.  That, my friends, could be a never-ending battle.  I finally declared the paint kitchen closed for the next fifteen years or so, barring hurricanes and floods and grandchildren and other natural disasters.  I quickly put away the ladders and paint brushes and cans of leftover paint so Chris couldn’t see them and think of another project.  She was pretty tired herself, though, so I was safe for at least another 24 hours.  And we didn’t even have a kid’s baseball game to go to.

Speaking of which, we did go out to see one of our Seaside kiddos play the other night.  Brennan is in machine pitch.  He’s also the smallest kid on his team.  Not sure about the ages, but on top of everything else, he has never played before this year.  I gotta say, that kid was amazing.  He hit the ball every time he batted, and I think he even scored every time a swell.  I was especially impressed by his speed, though.  And it was not just an optical illusion brought on by how short his legs are.  Those short legs were rockets between the basepaths.  His team won the game handily.  Nice job Brennan and the Indians.

Titus 2:1-2 says, “You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine.  Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.”


Father, thank you for finished projects and speedy youngsters.  Amen.

No comments: