Tuesday, April 11, 2017

April 11 – “List-maker Life”

Easter week is officially in full swing.  Monday was dedicated to the computer for the most part.  I had to get rolling on the two worship services coming up on Sunday.  That meant two teachings (Can’t use the same one.  Some people go to both services.  Wouldn’t want anybody who has already been awake since 4:30 a.m. to get too bored).  Before I could start on those, though, I had to get my weekly to-do list organized. 

Now that’s something about me that you may not know.  I am an incessant list-maker.  That’s how I start my Mondays every week.  In fact I even have a file saved on the computer so I can just print out the weekly stuff and add things that come up at the bottom.  Oh, I’ve tried putting it all on my phone’s Notes App, but there’s a problem.  I have to open the phone.  Then scroll to the right app.  Then open the app.  Then locate the right page of notes.  There’s just something to be said in favor of good ol’ dead tree paper notes.  I do recycle, though.  I save and use the backs of old sermon notes.  I know, I know.  I still use paper there, too.  I don’t have a fancy iPad, though.  Maybe some day I’ll enter the 20th century.  Oh, wait.  Or would that be the 21st century?  See how far behind I actually am?  So I guess in the meantime I will remain slow and happy and hang onto my paper lists. 

I just looked around on my desk.  There is my weekly to do list, the one I print off every Monday.  Then there is a list entitled “Sunday List.”  That’s the one so I won’t forget anything when we have to leave the house around 4:30 a.m. or so to get to the Sunrise Service.  At that hour one might forget something.  Then there is one that just says “milk crates.”  Nathan called yesterday and asked if the Honor Guard Academy could borrow some milk crates that we have here at the house.  Oh, and there is one other list here.  It is more of a phone message type hodgepodge of stuff.  People in the hospital.  Various events at the Honor Guard Academy that I would like to go see.  Those kinds of things.  I do need to add a shopping list somewhere in there.  We are almost out of fruit and we’re getting low on dog food.  Sigh.  The life of a list maker is never ending.

Titus 2:6-8 says, “Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled.  In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.”


Father, thank you for the chance to be involved in so many things that I have to have a list to stay organized.  Sure makes life fun.  Amen.

No comments: