Saturday, April 22, 2017

April 22 – “Life as Laura”

We are in the midst of a reunion of sorts this weekend.  Two couples who we knew and were good friends with (Yes, it is certainly possible to have known someone and the resulting study of the relationship reveals a less than mutually agreeable relational connection.  At least that would be the “Flower Lips” ways of saying that there are some people you just don’t like.  We actually really like these people) when we lived in Mansfield came down for a visit.  Cary and KayLynn and Wayne and Sheri (the accent is on the last syllable, but I don’t know how to stick that in when I’m typing.  I guess I could do it like when I’m transliterating Greek for a sermon: Sheh-reeeee).  There was a purpose in their madness, too.  We are in the early stages of planning a cruise to Alaska, perhaps as soon as next summer.  This weekend is supposed to be the kickoff to that week or two of mayhem and madness, my introduction to the world of cruise ship living.  I am pretty excited about it, although I haven’t yet started my own research into the trip.  My plan is to binge watch every episode of Love Boat to refresh my memory as to what an experience on a cruise ship is really like.  I know they wouldn’t have let them put it on TV if it wasn’t the truth.  

Now, the secondary reason for the gathering was unknown to one particular person in the group.  See, this weekend is KayLynn’s birthday, and we intended to fete her royally, whether she wanted us to or not.  We began the afternoon of their arrival mainly by sitting around and chatting, getting caught up on each other’s lives.  I had a wedding rehearsal to sneak off to, so the chat session came to an end when I got ready to leave.  Of course my wardrobe had to be duly approved by my wife.  And my other wife.  And my other wife.  It was like looking into some kind of 3-D mirror.  “Are you going to wear that?” echoed three times is a frightening experience.  I would only kiss one of them goodbye, however.  It was her night.  Everyone else would have to wait her turn. 

They went off to check into their condo rooms they rented for the weekend, and I left for the rehearsal.  By the time I finished, they were on their way back to the house, ready for some Galveston-quality seafood.  We chose Benno’s to act on a recommendation from someone in their lives.  The food was pretty good.  Their crab balls were fried in their Cajun batter, so they tasted really smoky to me.  I’m a straight corn meal or flour batter guy, myself.  What was inside was really good, though. 

There was one “interesting” occurrence at the restaurant.  The girls chose the table while the guys stood in line to make our order.  Their selection was the one farthest in the back, right next to the men’s restroom.  Unusual choice, but perhaps a bit quieter than other spots if the raucous dining room.  Me and Chris and Wayne sat facing the wall.  Cary and KayLynn faced us, with Sheri taking a spot right next to the bathroom door.  Honestly, I didn’t think anything about it at first.  At least not until the other two ladies reported on her antics while we were waiting dutifully in line.  Seems our dear Sheri has a bit of a past.  Her fluttering eyelids and “cough drop” fresh breath mints and no doubt occasional perfectly timed winks were attracting gentlemen of all ages who apparently suddenly ”felt the urge.”  One fellow even leaned over and whispered some sort of sweet nothing in her ear, and then leaned back a bit further and queried, “Laura?”  Sheri tried to play it off and maintain her cover identity by insisting her name was Sheri, but I’m not sure the fellow was completely convinced.  After all these years none of us (I’m not sure even her own husband knew) had any idea.  I for one am looking forward to further revelations about her “Life as Laura.”

After the meal we managed to tear Laura/Sheri away from her prime spot to head home.  Wayne kept his arm around her to discourage further “mistaken identity” hits.  We adjourned to our house for some Blue Bell ice cream and, unbeknownst to KayLynn, a birthday cake.  She blew out all three candles on her cake and we sang “Happy birthday” and there were even presents.  “Special” presents that Chris graciously allowed me to pick out.  Thirteen of them, to be exact, plus the Galveston flipflops coffee mug that Chris helped pick out.  Each one had a certain sentimental memory attached to it, and by the time she finished, I for one, was teary-eyed.  I couldn’t believe everyone else was laughing so much, though.  Guess they just didn’t get the emotional connection one can have with a tiny plastic elephant that bellows like a stuck pig and poops candy. 

Hebrews 1:8-9 says, “But about the Son he says, ‘Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.  You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.’”


Father, thank you for great friendships that last and last and last.  Amen.

No comments: