Monday, April 24, 2017

April 24 – “One last time”

Ah, yet another happy, happy day was yesterday.  Now, there could have been a third “happy” in there, but our birthday celebrant friend KayLynn made me promise not to tell her happy birthday from the pulpit at church.  I guess I must have agreed a bit too readily, because she saw through my ruse.  See, we don’t have a pulpit as such at Seaside.  We do, however, have a podium, so in her quick-thinking mode, she hastened to add … “or from the podium.”  Feeling greatly restricted in my options for revelry, I grudgingly agreed.  And then I met Alex.  Alex and his family were in town for the weekend, so they decided to stop in at the little church they passed on their way to the beach house.  Not that unusual an occurrence.  Happens all the time.  After all, Seaside is a resort missions outpost.  But this particular visit was more than a chance vacation encounter.  Nay.  This was nothing less than Birthday Destiny.  I hastily explained the birthday restrictions I was operating under for the morning.  And as we talked further, a tiny seed of a plan began to germinate in my mind.  Could it work?  Would Alex come through?  I knew we were golden when he looked over at his wife and she rolled her eyes.  He had that twinkle in his eye.  We were on.

When the time came for welcoming everyone to Seaside, I explained: “Today we are incredibly blessed to have a visitor in attendance who is someone very special.”  As I continued talking I moved over to stand right in front of the section where KayLynn was seated.  Gazing into her eyes, I continued, “This person is all the more special because this is a birthday weekend.  So I would like to ask this wonderful individual to stand so we can all express our love and best wishes on your birthday.”  At that I turned away from KayLynn’s section, gestured dramatically across the congregation, and concluded, “Alex, would you stand, please?”  The congregation reacted perfectly, applauding and calling out “Happy birthday’s.”  And as the noise quieted, just before he sat down, Alex looked out across the congregation and said, “Happy birthday, KayLynn.”  You gotta admit, that was a classic move.  Very nice work, Alex.  Welcome to Seaside. 

And speaking of KayLynn’s birthday, we did continue the celebration into the afternoon and evening.  Chris and I went out to the Taj Mahal condo they had rented for the weekend.  Pretty amazing place.  We walked on the beach a while, and then I fell asleep in a lounge chair by the pool (but not before verifying that the Astros came back from a 4-0 first inning deficit to beat the Rays 6-4 in ten innings).  Supper time brought an agonizing decision from the birthday girl.  Where to go to eat the last seafood meal.  She struggled between Jimmy’s on the Pier and a return engagement with Shrimp and Stuff, but in the end, Shrimp and Stuff prevailed.  And what a grand decision it turned out to be.  We had yet another birthday celebration.  First Sheri regaled us with an exciting tale of The Glove Box Black Hole that eats Christmas gifts and then regurgitates them just in time to completely humiliate any husband foolish enough to trust the dark confines of its treacherous reach.  We also appreciated the color commentary provided by first-hand unwitting participant in the Black Hole’s antics himself, Wayne Spray.  I don’t how Sheri pulled off such a celebrity coup of epic proportions.  Rumor had it that a certain alter ego named Laura might possibly have been involved, but that was never confirmed.  After story time, Sheri passed out those fireworks-quality pull-poppers.  Even the table next to us got into the act.  We all sang “Happy birthday to KayLynn” for one not-so-last time and enjoyed our meals with the marvelous Happy Birthday napkins Sheri brought with her. 

Sadly, our friends must return today to the Northern Wilderness that is Texas.  Sigh.  I have no idea what progress we made on this whole Alaskan cruise thing, but I have to say, this has most assuredly been one of the most memorable weekends of our Galveston hosting career.  We truly hate to see it end.  But, on the other hand, there is some leftover birthday cake.  And plenty of Blue Bell.  Does KayLynn HAVE to be here for me to sing Happy Birthday to her one last time?

Hebrews 1:14 says, “Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?”


Father, thank you for the great people you draw to Seaside every Sunday.  Grant Alex – and KayLynn - a truly happy birthday.  Amen.

No comments: