Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April 12 – “Interesting encounter”

Chris and I had another of our “interesting encounters” yesterday.  This one came as we were sitting together in the office.  Chris was reading the newspaper.  Yes, we still read the newspaper.  Of course its value has somewhat deteriorated from information to entertainment, but we remain loyal to the concept, nonetheless.  I was working at the computer. 

Suddenly we heard the tell-tale thud that ordinarily results in the discovery of an errant avian who had tried unsuccessfully to take a shortcut from the back yard to the front through our glass back doors.  Our closed glass back doors.  It happens more than you might imagine.  Chris got up to investigate, to see if there was anything she could do.  Ever the diligent nurse, you know.  And within seconds I heard, “Kelley, where’s Freddy?  Get her.  I got her.  Oh.  Oh.  It’s … Come here.  Come in here.”  Now how can anyone concentrate after an appeal like that?  I quickly left my post and made my way into the den, where Chris stood sort of hunching over, grasping tightly to a confused Freddy.  She pointed just as I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye.  A bird had indeed struck the back door, but this one was now inside the house. 

Leaping into action, I raced over and opened the back door to give it an escape route.  On my way I queried, “How did it get in?  Did you remember to close all the windows when you washed them?”  Yes, Chris does do windows.  They look fabulous, by the way.  Of course she had remembered, so that avenue of entry was rapidly tossed aside.  My next thought, as I followed the little sparrow into the office, was perhaps it had flapped its wings at such an incredibly fast rate that the vibrations had enabled him to actually pass through the molecules of the glass door unharmed.  The noise we heard was simply the result of a lack of concentration during his attempt to make the return trip.  Hey, it works for The Flash.  I actually used to have the comic book where he taught Superman how to do that.  I never mentioned that possibility out loud, though.  Some secrets are better left unrevealed.  The only other possibility was that he had somehow made his way through the flap on the dog’s door.  Not unheard of, I suppose.  But I still lean toward the super speed explanation myself. 

By that time our visitor had decided to take a break, and I knew right then that all would be well.  See, he was an Astros fan.  He landed on one of my Astros hats and rested while I made my way to prop open the front door.  I saluted him as I cleared his escape route, and he nodded almost imperceptibly at me as he flew directly out the door.  Hey, us Astros fans of all shapes and sizes … and species … have to stick together.  Oh, and Freddy?  She still has no idea what was going on.  She did enjoy cuddling with Mommy, though.

Titus 2:11-14 says, “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.  It teaches us to say ‘No’ to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope — the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.”


Father, thank you for all of your creatures, fast and slow.  Amen.

No comments: