Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April 18 – “Regular life”

Yesterday I think I had that disease you get the day after an incredible high and it’s now over and you have to reboot back into “regular life.”  It’s not that I felt particularly bad or anything.  I was just in somewhat of a funk, trying to get into Monday mode so I could accomplish all the usual Monday tasks at hand.  I finally got moving, but I’m afraid I’d better go back over what I did yesterday to make sure it makes sense.

We actually started the day out right.  Chris and I walked two miles around the neighborhood.  We saw one of the old ladies on our “route” who hasn’t been around for some time.  Come to find out, she broke her foot, so she has been out of commission.  That’s one of the things that I really like about our treks through the neighborhood.  We have made a connection with several of the residents, and most of them enjoy it enough that they stop us to talk for a few minutes.  Not great aerobically, but it sure fits relationally.

One of the biggest obstacles to my getting Monday business started was the fact that I had to wade through all the Easter paraphernalia that had collected on my desk from the services the day before.  When we got home on Sunday, it all got piled up there.  I was too tired to deal with it then after such an early morning.  In fact, all I was hoping for was an Astros game on TV and no phone calls.  The game was cancelled due to rain.  The phone did cooperate, though. 

But back to Monday … we had one of Lauren’s awesome leftover cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  Remember, I said we walked two miles, so that automatically puts the cinnamon rolls on our diet, doesn’t it?  Wait.  What diet?  Are we on a diet now?  See, I told you I was in a funk.  I really do need to check my work from yesterday …

Fast forward to last night.  That much I do remember.  We went to Cailyn’s softball game.  She played a really good game at shortstop.  Fielded a few grounders.  One of them took a bad hop and smacked her in the shoulder.  She lost focus for just a few seconds, but by the time her coach got to her she was assuring him that she was fine.  I told her that’s why God gave her two shoulders.  Not sure she understood that logic.  The injury didn’t affect her hitting, though.  She was three for three and scored every time.  The team lost by a run in the bottom of the last inning, but it was a really exciting game.  Know what Cailyn was most excited about?  Her neighbor Mr. Pete was there to watch her play.  Know what she was most saddened about?  No sno-cone after the gems.  They hadn’t had supper yet, so Mom and Dad wanted her to get some real food in her first.  Sigh.  The ups and downs of a second grader playing softball.

Philemon 4-6 says, “I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints.  I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.”


Father, thank you for my “regular life.”  I really appreciate having it to come back to.  Amen.

No comments: