Wednesday, July 27, 2016

July 27 – “… and Sons?”

I just saw one of the most unusual newspaper ads I have ever seen.  Yes, I still read the newspaper.  Old school, I know.  So the ad that caught my attention this morning? It was for a  cemetery monument making company.  Not that I was looking, mind you.  And I’m not at all sure what the technical name for such an industry is, either.  But I was just casually perusing, making sure my name wasn’t listed in the obituaries, when there it was.  A picture of a headstone with the words of the company engraved on it: “Schlitzburger and …”  Wait.  Care to make a guess as to what followed?  See, it wasn’t the name that stood out so much as the “what followed” part.  Schlitzburger and … Daughters.  Yep.  Not “and Sons” as you might have expected.  The Schlitzburgers have full-on owned the family they were gifted by God with.  No bowing to tradition for them.  Bring the girls into the family business and give them full honors.  Way to go, Schlitzburgers, whoever you are. 

OK.  I know what you are thinking now.  Must have been a pretty slow news day around the Vaughan house yesterday.  The old man is reaching for straws to find something to write about.  Guilty.  Not to put a damper on my kudos to the Schlitzburger Clan, though.  But yesterday was one of those “water exercise first, then work on sermon and Bible Study all day” kind of days.  We did have overnight grandchildren guests, but they didn’t arrive until after 8:30, and we went to bed right after the Astros game ended around 9:30, so even the Vaughan boys didn’t really have time to get into any mischief.  Although I am just hearing about an altercation that happened around 3 in the morning.  Something about one of them crawling into the wrong bed after a bathroom trip.  Guess it wasn’t a very noisy squabble.  Sure didn’t work its way into my consciousness. 

1 Corinthians 1:18 says, “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”


Father, thank you for daughters and sons and grandsons and granddaughters.  Posterity is pretty pleasing when you’re still around to enjoy it.  Amen.

No comments: