Friday, July 22, 2016

July 22 – “Undeterred”

Our brand new La-Z-Boy recliner broke the other day.  Now, let me hasten to say that it did still work just fine.  In fact we wouldn’t even know there was anything amiss except for the large black chunk of molded plastic that fell onto the floor.  For a while our response was to ignore it.  We moved the chair into every imaginable position and rocked and swiveled to our hearts’ content.  No problems.  I almost didn’t call the customer service department, but Chris convinced me that it would be better to find out now what it was than to wait until after the warranty ran out.

The call went well … once we finally connected.  It was one of those “I’m away from my desk.  Please leave a message and I’ll call you back within 24 hours” deals.  So I waited 24 hours, almost to the minute, and she called me back.  Once when I was on the other line talking long distance to Josh.  I don’t cut short phone calls with my family.  Then when I was talking to one of the fire fighters.  I don’t interrupt conversation to check my phone, either.  In fact, that’s why I put it on silent in those situations.  I want to give the guys my undivided attention. 

So back to the call.  She asked a few questions and finally said, “I know what part you are talking about.  I don’t need the part number.”  Which, by the way, I had meticulously discovered.  She let me in on her secret.  “There is only one thing under there that is made of plastic.  It is a locking mechanism for when you lean back.  Right now the one on the other side is doing double duty.  It will soon break as well unless you replace the broken one.  I’ll send you the part.  If you need help installing it, I’ll also send a technician.”  Well, I didn’t want a technician to spend the night in a box in a UPS warehouse waiting to be shipped, so I said I would give the self-installation a try. 

The part arrived, so I tipped the chair over on its side to perform the operation.  It was really difficult to get to.  In fact what should have taken 5 minutes ended up taking me almost an hour.  Reclining position.  No, now back down.  Chris, will you hold the flashlight?  Open it again.  Wait.  I can reach it now.  Ouch.  Oh, there it is.  I got the silly thing in there. 

And then I stood up.  And stretched my back out.  And repositioned myself over the hulking beast upended on its side.  And I grabbed it and heaved.  And the chair plopped back into position.  And I heard a faint sound emanating from underneath.  With a sense of dread rapidly closing in on my senses, I dropped to my knees (Actually that sounds like I did it quickly, doesn’t it?  Not so much.  I eased gingerly down onto my hands and knees.  There, that’s a bit more accurate).  I stared once again under the chair.  And sure enough.  There on the ground.  No, it wasn’t the part I just installed.  Ha.  That’s what you thought, wasn’t it?  Oh, no.  this was not one, but two other tiny pieces of plastic.  About a one inch cylinder and a screw-on … thing-a-ma-bob.  I had no idea what either of them were.  And unlike the other part, I couldn’t find anywhere that they might have even fallen from.  I guess here is where you would expect me say something like, “Undeterred, I bravely dove back into the fray until I found the answers I was looking for.”  And your expectations would have sadly disappointed.  Oh, I looked.  Once.  But then I was sufficiently “deterred.”  For now we have two tiny little extra pieces of a recliner from La-Z-Boy.  They reside in the filing cabinet under the tab marked, La-Z-Boy.  Perhaps someday their day will come.

Romans 15:17 says, “Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God.”


Father, I’m headed to a funeral this morning.  Please comfort the family.  And be with the fire fighters who will be standing honor guard.  Amen.

No comments: