Saturday, July 2, 2016

July 2 – “Finally … fish”

Well, it finally happened.  I actually had a really successful fishing trip.  By successful, I mean, of course, that speckled trout were involved.  Chris and I were returning from Home Depot yesterday (she needed a pot and some special dirt to repot her orchid plant).  As we drove down 61st Street I noticed that every single bait shop had their white flags flapping in the breeze.  Live shrimp were now available.  That was clue number one that I should really be at the beach fishing.  So I checked the beach cams on the Galveston.com website.  Calm, clear, green seas.  That was number two.  The only strike against going right then was the fact that it was 3:00 in the afternoon and specs usually prefer early morning or late afternoon.  Oh, and it was hot.  Really hot.  Hovering around 90 degrees.  But I have handled heat before.  And I do carry sunscreen in my tackle box.  Chris agreed to swing by the seawall on our way home so I could have a look for myself, and it was gorgeous. 

So when we got home I loaded up the truck and went for some of that advertised live bait.  I was kind of hesitant at first.  Oh, the bait was live all right, but the shrimp were really big – eatin’ kind of big.  Had I been planning to go anywhere but the beach I would have balked, but, hey.  It’s the Gulf of Mexico.  Anything can happen, right? 

Once at the beach I waded out and established my spot beyond the tourists and made my first cast.  Lost that bait on a really good bite, so I used one of the smaller shrimp to see what was out there.  Caught a whiting, so I decided, where there’s small ones, there should be big brothers and uncles, so I went back to the big shrimp.  And then it began.  Speckled trout showed up to do a little feeding, and they were especially fond of my live shrimp.  And because they were so big, the youngsters pretty much left them alone.  I started catching some of those Big Daddies.  In fact on one cast something hit the line and took off, zinging my drag like it wasn’t even on.  I was at his mercy until he calmed down enough for me to reel him in closer.  I thought maybe it was a Jack Crevalle, the way it was fighting.  I never expected what slipped into the dip net, though.  It was certainly the biggest spec I have ever caught.  Similar to the ones that get their picture in the paper.  I was in this day for the long haul. 

And it turned out to be quite a day.  Seven big specs, so I didn’t limit out, but a family fish fry is certainly imminent.  One keeper red.  I actually caught and released a total of six rat reds.  I kept two whiting.  I also released two black drum, just because I didn’t want to deal with cleaning them.  They weren’t very big either.  I did have to deal with three or four catfish.  One of them even managed to stab my finger, so I had to deal with that ache for a while. Only had one of those “ones that got away.”  Reeled him in pretty close, but he broke the line before I could get a good look at him.  When I ran out of bait  I decided to make a few casts with a lure I found in my tackle box.  First cast yet another big speck decided to join my team.  That was the last one, though. 

As I dragged my catch onto shore, a young family approached me and asked, “May we record your catch?”  An unusual request, but I said “Sure.”  They both whipped out cell phones and literally recorded my stringer.  Odd.  Then when I finally got up to the truck, another guy came over and asked all about the fish.  He was fascinated by the red fish color.  “It’s like a mix between red and gold.”  He was also surprised to hear that the others were trout.  He asked, “Are those the same as they have up in Colorado.”  I assured him it was the same name, but there were two key differences.  1.  These were salt water fish.  And 2.  You don’t have to catch and release these … you can eat them.  He agreed that they would “sure be gracing his supper table tonight.” 

Romans 12:15 says, “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.”

Father, thank you for gracing our supper table every night.  Amen.


No comments: