Sunday, July 10, 2016

July 10 – “you and Old Blue … to the rescue”

Not much happens when your head hurts, your stomach is queasy, and you get dizzy every time you stand up.  Well, I guess lots of stuff is going on, but yesterday I didn’t really care about much except when was the next time I could take some Tylenol.  I more listened to than saw the Astros game, and they lost.  Pretty close comeback attempt in the bottom of the ninth fell just short. 

I did try a page out of my own counseling book, though, when I got a text from a friend who was in a bind.  Always good to think about someone other than yourself.  And when you are feeling depressed, one of the best things you can do is go do something for someone else.  Not in hopes that you will get paid back.  Just to be doing it.  So, throbbing head and all, I jumped in the truck and headed out to WalMart.  Seems he had purchased one of those molded swimming pools for his kids and couldn’t get it to stay attached to the top of his car.  No matter what combination of strapping he tried, it still slipped easily around, so he was afraid to chance it.  He requested the services of Old Blue.  It didn’t take long.  We plopped it in the bed and slipped it right out when we got to his house.  We did spend a few minutes talking, though.  I hadn’t seen him in a while, so we had a little bit of catching up to do.  But it was really hot outside, and the longer we talked the more I could feel myself slipping away. 

I made it back home with no incident and that’s about the time the Astros game started, so I crashed exhausted into my chair.  I went to bed before ten and woke up this morning around five.  Now we’ll see how things go at church this morning.  And we have Cailyn for the rest of the day and tonight, so I will be further encouraged to continue a miraculous comeback recovery. 

Romans 13:10 says, “Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.”


Father, thank you for our friendship with Chris and Heather.  Watch over them in their upcoming travels.  Amen.

No comments: