Monday, July 18, 2016

July 18 – “We’ve got the power …”

I tore myself away from the Astros game yesterday afternoon for a while to go fishing.  Terrible idea.  For one thing, I missed seeing Carlos Gomez’ grand slam home run (but I saw it on the replay when I got back home).  Strike two was the water conditions.  Way too rough to be wade fishing.  But I thought I could at least pull in some decent whiting.  As it turned out the two whiting I did catch weren’t worth even bring back home.  And finally, strike three was none other than … tourists.  I planted myself as far away from the “play” area as I could, but they kept drifting closer and closer.  Not just to where I was standing, but also to where I was trying to cast.  The tourist traffic finally got so bad that I gave up and headed home. 

Now if all that wasn’t bad enough - and remember, that was already three strikes – while I was fishing I got one of those advertising jingles stuck in my head and couldn’t get it to shut off.  Actually, I’m pretty sure it was two different ones all mingled together.  This is the one with the guitar player and the guys who skipped going to the gym and poor old Grampy Tim.  It was nightmarish.  And you are not going to get away from this reading without having the same glorious opportunity to hum along as I had.  Are you ready?  Oh, and I have no idea what the products are, so this is not a free commercial.
“We’ve got the power to turn back time.  That’s what I like about Texas.”

Yep.  I know.  They don’t go together.  But that’s what I heard singing over and over and over and over in my head.  Wish I had the power to turn back time and turn that commercial off.  Now it’s back …

Romans 15:4 says, “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.”


Father, thank you for giving us all the power we ever really need.  Amen.

No comments: