Saturday, August 8, 2015

August 8 – “Deliveries”

I made some deliveries yesterday.  No, I’m not suddenly a baby doctor or anything.  And our dogs didn’t have puppies either.  We took care of that eventuality long ago.  I just meant I literally delivered something.  I took a baby Bible to two of the firefighter Dads who have recently had little ones.  Actually the kids have already been around for several weeks, but this is the first time I have been free on this shift day to catch them.  That meant a trip out to station two near UTMB was first.  I got an early start, thinking that would be the easiest time to catch them.  There are usually not that many calls early in the morning.  I forgot to take into account breakfast and ice pick-up runs, though.  I didn’t have to wait long for their return.  Problem was, the Dad I was looking for had called in sick.  Too many late nights changing diapers, I guess.  The guys agreed to put the Bible in his locker and give him the message that it was there.  Really enjoyed hanging out and talking with the rest of the crew.  

Next I stopped by Central and spent some time talking to Nora and Trish, the administrative assistants who run the show there.  I love those two ladies.  One just had a birthday and the other an anniversary, so they were still in celebratory moods.  Congrats to them both.  I said hello to the guys on shift, but they were getting ready to debrief about a fire from last week.  So I left for my other delivery to station four out at the airport.  The guys there were in an intense discussion around the dining table about promotions and station assignments union activities, so I just stuck around long enough to get the Bible to Stewart and rest my back for a few minutes.  That leaves just one more Bible to connect with its youngster’s Daddy.  He works a different shift, though, so now I’ll have to track him down.  But that’s OK.  I’ll get it to him before the child can read it.  I’m pretty sure of it.

Colossians 2:6-7 says, “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”


Father, be with those little babies.  Grow them up healthy.  And be with their Daddies as they work their shifts.  Keep them safe.  And be with their Mommies.  Wrap them with a sense of your presence during the times they are alone.  Amen.

No comments: