Saturday, August 15, 2015

August 15 - “No movie yet”

So how about a quick review of my day yesterday? 

Chris made me a cheese omelet for breakfast.  Cheese and bell peppers and bacon bits.  Top quality stuff.  She also gave me a birthday gift.  A new pair of shorts and some labels for my garage projects.  She knows what I need.

Next stop was water therapy.  I know.  Therapy on my birthday.  I was determined to go, though.  This would be the first time since we lived in Denver that I did a workout of some kind for five days in a row.  (OK.  Water therapy and water aerobics don’t fall into the same category with running six or eight miles a day.  But I was much younger then). 
                     
The plan from there was to get a quick bite to eat and then go see a movie.  But while we were ruminating over our choices, Nathan texted a birthday greeting and asked what we were doing for lunch.  Now, I can smell a fishing expedition when I get near one, so I told him we were going to Shrimp n Stuff and they were invited.  Didn’t take him and Cailyn long to get over here.  April had worked the night before, so she was asleep.  Hence their move to get out of the house.  Lunch was great, as usual.  And Cailyn made me a glow in the dark picture frame with a photo of me and her fishing.  Perfect.  I remember the day like it was yesterday.  Well, maybe last month.  OK, maybe two or three years ago.  She was so little in that picture.  Nathan and April gave me some organizer bins for the garage.  No movie yet.  Better than a movie.

Speaking of the garage, I spent some time out there actually doing some more organizing.  Nathan helped me get rid on old rusted out cart (that I’m sure was well-received into its new home by Bruce, the guy who came to the door and asked if he could have it).  He also moved a really heavy trunk to its final (for now) resting place on the bottom shelf of the big workbench.  Chris was doing some quilting when I quit in the garage, so I watched some Little League regional playoff baseball.

Somewhere in there I received a FaceTime call from Noa.  She sang the Happy Birthday song to me and we chatted for a while.  No movie yet.  Better than a movie.

Last night I got another FaceTime call, from Josh and his boys.  That one turned into a ticketed event.  Literally.  Josh held up a ticket and said it was ours for the show that was about to begin.  I think it was really Christi’s, but she happily gave it over to us and used the opportunity to leave the room.  We soon found out why.  Zak and Caleb had been talking about how to make some money.  Not sure what for, but Caleb had already spent a very hot hour at the park trying to sell some lemonade, and had not been so successful.  I put in an order for a cup of frozen lemonade for me to eat on our next trip up there, but it was too little, too late.  So they had come to the conclusion that the quickest, most economical approach would be to pull some teeth and wait for the tooth fairy to gift them.  Zak had already talked Caleb into letting him tie a string (actually some yarn) around a loose tooth, and they were going to tie it to a doorknob and slam the door shut.  Why were tickets needed?  Well, it didn’t work, but the attempt - well, attempts - were hilarious.  They then switched to an apple.  Surely if Caleb would bite into it just right the tooth would become embedded.  Well, not so much.  They finally agreed to give Caleb a break from the teeth extraction.  So Luke then tried to hook himself up to the yarn.  Before hanging up all three boys joined together to sing me the birthday song.  And Luke followed it up by pursing his lips and letting out a clear whooshing sound.  Hey, after that song you blow out candles, right?  He never did understand when I told him I didn’t have any cake … or candles … or ice cream.  Quite entertaining.  No movie yet.  Better than a movie.

My day ended with watching the Astros defeat the Detroit Tigers.  Astros’ pitcher got his 14th win of the year.  Oh, and Pearland advanced to Williamsport for the Little League World Series again.  You know what?  That’s a nice day.  No movie yet.  But much better than a movie.

Colossians 3:16-17 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”


Father, thank you for my calm and somewhat relaxing birthday.  One more day to appreciate you and the gifts you have honored me with.  Amen.

No comments: