Monday, August 17, 2015

August 17 – “Happy birthday, Chris Vaughan!”

Yep.  There it is.  All over FaceBook.  Today is my lovely wife’s birthday.  About 29 years old, as I recall.  Maybe a little younger.  I get confused with this new-fangled way of doing math.  But however old she is, she’s been a real sweetheart to me for the last 40 40 plus years.  She came through with three amazing boys, and she’s a right decent Nana/Nani to their kids, too.  I’m prepared to keep her around for as long as it takes.  And I predict it will take a long time.  A very long time. 

Speaking of Chris, she witnessed a car wreck yesterday.  I was with her, but I was otherwise occupied, I think with my cell phone.  It was actually just a little fender bender.  The guy right in front of us ran into the car in front of him.  The car that got hit pulled into the service station right there at the corner of Stewart road and 61st street.  But the offender did not stop.  He was making a getaway attempt.  Excitement happening, right before our very eyes.  What else could we do?  We felt sorry for the poor guys who got hit.  Hope his insurance rates don’t go up too much.  It’s just not fair that he should have to suffer for something that clearly wasn’t his fault.  So we did what any advocate for fairness would have done … we chased him.  Actually, we just kept going the direction we were headed anyway.  When we got close enough to him, I snapped a picture of the back of his car to get his license plate number.  Nailed it.  We had him.  Incriminating photo in hand, we headed back to the service station to check on the other guy and offer up our witness statement.  Chris pulled around and entered the service station parking lot from the back.  She drove to where the other guy had been parked, but he wasn’t there anymore.  I guess he decided not to report it.  Oh, well.  So much for our attempt to be a hero.  Hey, if someone rear-ended your little red car the other day, let me know and I’ll send you the photo.

Well, it’s time for week two of water therapy, so I’m off.  Happy birthday to you, Chris.  I love you. 

Colossians 3:18-19 says, “Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.  Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.”


Father, thank you for my wife.  It’s hard to say anything more, because it just wouldn’t be enough.  Amen.

No comments: