Monday, August 10, 2015

August 10 - “Chemo brain and Kelly gain”

Apparently I have been privileged to be experiencing a tiny taste of something affectionately called “chemo brain” among cancer patients.  Now, I have not been diagnosed with cancer or anything, but one of the drugs I take for the rheumatoid arthritis is also a cancer drug.  And every time the doc increases the dose, I have to experience side effects.  Don’t get me wrong.  The drug really does help with the joint pain.  Not at all sure if I want to keep dealing with these side effects, though.  The chemo brain is the latest to join stomach concerns among the all-time most annoying issues I get to face. 

So the chemo brain effect for me causes me to easily lose focus when I am trying to concentrate.  I can be working on a teaching and completely lose my train of thought.  Not a great place to be for someone who has to create at least two lessons from scratch every week.  Other times I realize that I have just been sitting there staring at the screen for long periods of time.  Memory is yet another problem, but I can’t remember exactly why.  And then there are the times I just can’t stay awake.  Of course those may be the result of sleepless nights from the other recent pain inducing culprit that is my back.  Hope to get more news on that after beginning water therapy today and MRI tomorrow.

But on the positive side, the Lord had an answer for my preparation difficulty this past week.  Kelly Boyer, a young lady who grew up at Seaside, is preparing to go to Ethiopia as a short-term missionary.  She was available to come share with us her own heart as well as a little about the mission she will be undertaking – working with victims of the sex trafficking industry.  It was a powerful message and a real challenge to understand that who you are is enough.  God can, and will, receive you into his family and give you a purpose in life.  I’m sure I came across as a proud Daddy when I had the honor of surprising her after her message with a check from Seaside for $4,000.  She was quite humbled by the power of God to meet her travel and living expense needs. 

For lunch Chris and Cailyn and I went to the Spot, a local restaurant, to join Kelly and the friends who came to support her.  Great group of girls who have bonded in a small group at their church in League City.  Once again my Daddy-heart felt a peace that one of my Seaside kids was doing well for herself. 

Just got word that another Seasider, Jennifer is having surgery at 9 a.m.  Gotta head to Houston.

Colossians 3:2-3 says, “Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.”

Father, thank you for Kelly and for the many ways you have planned to use her in ministry.  Multiply her servant heart in others and touch many for yourself through her actions.  And also please be with Jennifer as she goes through surgery number ten on this ankle of hers.  Amen.


No comments: