Tuesday, August 11, 2015

August 11 – “Strapped in”

Day one of physical therapy in the water is now complete.  It was kind of eerie.  Every activity they had me do reminded me of the ones I used to have to do back when I had physical therapy on dry land.  First they strapped me in.  Ankle weights on me.  Heavy ankle weights.  Ten pounds each, maybe?  Then they handed me a pool noodle and told me to bicycle for five minutes.  That’s the same start I had with regular therapy.  Ride the stationary bike for five minutes.  Then I was supposed to let my feet hang in a sort of traction for five minutes.  That sounded like it would feel pretty good, but the noodle didn’t keep me off the bottom, so my feet were doing more bouncing than hanging. 

Next he decided that I looked “pretty healthy.”  I guess that’s supposed to be a complement, but in my limited experience, it’s never a good sign.  Always means they intend to make things harder than they originally intended.  Sure enough, instead of walking back and forth across the pool for five minutes, I had to do lunges.  Instead of sliding sideways for five minutes, I had to do slide squats.  At least he didn’t come up with some weird addition when I had to walk backwards.  Balance is hard enough as it is.  

One of the other therapists made a comment about my bad posture.  Now wait a minute.  I just had a twenty minute session with a physical therapist (who was now in the pool, by the way) who told me that leaning forward in the classic “old man” stance was to be expected.  It relieved the pressure in my back caused by the stenosis.  Sounded like permission to lean, right?  Well, like it or not, that comment led to some time with the wet version of therabands.  They are huge rubber bands that attach to the wall and provide resistance for upper body strengthening.  The ones yesterday were more like rubber strings, but they provided ample resistance.  And my back reacted for the first time during this segment. 

The hardest thing I had to do, along with the bicycling for five minutes, was hang from  a bar and bring my legs up and tuck them in and push them back out.  Really felt that one in my abs, which is where I thought the exercises were going to concentrate.  But right after that he moved me into stretches, always a crowd favorite.  Well, this crowd, anyway.  Long stretches (two minutes each) of hamstrings and hips and ankles and arms.  Tough to continue for two minutes, but they did feel pretty good. 

It was the last thing he tried to do that brought me as close as I have come to rebelling.  He began to put a life jacket-looking thing around my neck and started to tie it one.  Now ever since my first neck surgery – the one where I had to wear a hard brace 24 hours a day for six months – I have hated even the thought of something around my neck.  That’s part of the reason I hate to wear ties.  I also had some less-than-happy experiences with attempts at neck traction before the neck surgeries.  So I was going to give whatever he had in mind a try, but I didn’t hold out much hope for going beyond fifteen or twenty seconds.  Thankfully, however, the physical therapist who did my intake interview saw what was going on and raced over to put a stop to it.  “No cervical traction with his history” was her command.  I like this lady more and more.  No neck traction.  It’s OK to perfect my old man walk.  I could get used to this.  He came up with an alternate form of traction that just targeted my lower back.  Took two pool noodles to hold me off the floor, but once that was achieved, it felt pretty good.  Session one complete.  Now three times a week for four weeks, plus water exercise class on the other two days.  I anticipated soreness today.  I was right.  Hope I can still hold my own with the other old folks in class today.

Colossians 3:12 says, “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”


Father, thank you for those who show these qualities to me every day (read here Chris, primarily).  Especially patience.  Amen.

No comments: