Sunday, June 14, 2015

June – “The FFMA and the patron saint of fire fighters”

I made a fire call yesterday to the local Palais Royal.  It was actually downgraded before I ever got there, but I stopped in anyway to say hello to the crew from Station Four who had responded.   I also got to talk briefly to the ladies who had been working when the alarm went off.  They told me they were excited that the chaplain came to check on the firefighters.  They said it showed the department cared about them.  Well, I can’t speak for everyone, but I sure do.  Our guys went over the area with a fine toothed comb as usual.  Nice job, guys.

After the Palais Royal excursion I went over to Moody Gardens to check out the exhibit hall of the FFMA (Firefighters and Fire Marshalls Association) of Texas conference.  That’s where I have a part this morning in the memorial service for firefighters who have died in the line of service over the last year.  I found out that the conference is really geared to volunteer departments around the state.  I looked for some Jamaica Beach cohorts, but didn’t see anyone while I was there.  I did see a few of the Galveston firefighters, though, and Trish found me.  One of them, Tim Johnson, is scheduled to be a teacher for one of the pull-out sessions.  So is Chief Wisko.  Way to represent Galveston, guys.  I did meet a retired chaplain from the Central Texas area.  Older guy (older than me, OK?), who used one of those cool walkers that converts to a chair.  In the time we talked he must have had ten or fifteen people stop and speak to him.  Quite a few of those were ladies, so add a kiss on the cheek to that event description. 

The event appeared to be quite the family affair as well.  Lots of kids running parents ragged.  The event hall had a bounce house set up for them, and one of the vendors even had a full sized stuffed horse and large dog (yes, he was stuffed, too) for the kids to sit on and have a picture taken.  Lots of the booths were having raffles to benefit one cause or the other.  One guy approached me about taking a chance on a fire helmet.  Almost did that one.  The LODD (Line of Duty Death) booth caught my attention, and I did buy a ticket or two there, just because the cause was the one closest to my heart.  They also were selling a cookbook.  We might own one of those when we get home today.  I have to confess I did buy one thing.  One booth had a challenge coin featuring Saint Florian, the patron saint of fire fighters, chimney sweeps and soap makers.  He was a mid-third century Roman officer who was tasked with the responsibility of organizing fire fighting brigades.  He organized and trained an elite group of soldiers whose only responsibility was to fight fires.  When his superiors found out he was a Christian, he was ordered burned at the stake.  However, as he stood amongst the wood, he challenged the soldiers to go ahead and light the fire.  He said, “If you do, I will climb to heaven on the flames.”  That made the superstitious soldiers a bit apprehensive, so they took him down from the stake and drowned him instead.  Quite an inspiration for those of us looking to represent that same Lord. 

Psalms 33:22 says, May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you.”


Father, I know I probably won’t be called on to burn at the stake or drown in a river with a millstone tied to my neck.  Thank you for that.  But there is a lot of that kind of stuff going on out there.  Protect the believers.  Watch over the fire fighters and their families here this weekend for the conference.  Oh, and watch over their communities while they are gone.  Amen.

No comments: