Saturday, June 6, 2015

June 6 – “THE Day”

Well, yesterday started out as many others have over the last few weeks – in the car.  We left Waco and headed South for Galveston … for home.  Just two stops this time.  First was for lunch at … Cracker Barrel.  Maybe we can petition for them to come to Galveston.  Then second was kind of a memorial thing.  Bucc-ees.  No particular reason other than we had not seen one in our entire travels.  Gotta stop at Bucc-ees at least once, you know. 

When we arrived Chris discovered the arrangement of 40 fresh yellow roses on the table.  I had made arrangements with a secret co-conspirator for that to happen.  I got up early this morning to finish another project for her.  Every time we reach another decade milestone I create a poster or “image suitable for framing.”  On it I write a poem of sorts, link it with a golden chain (on the paper), and surround it with random events that have occurred in our lives over that particular ten years.  I also include photos, usually of us or our kids.  It is next to impossible to keep it a secret from her.  I finished all but one thing on it before we left for vacation.  The one thing missing?  This year I included one photo of the two of us together for each year we have been married.  Yep. 40 photos.  I had two problems, though.  The first I solved through the miracle of photo-shopping.  One year I had no photo available of us together.  None.  Plenty of each of us, just not one together.  So I took two Christmas morning pictures and spliced them into one.  Close enough, I guess.  At least we were in the same room.  The second problem was a bit more challenging.  This year.  I was determined to get at least one picture of us this year to add to the landscape.  That’s why you were blessed with so many selfies from our trip.  Number one, I had never done a selfie before and wanted to try it out.  But number two, we were going to have 2015 pictures.  Having finished the project, I put it on the table next to the flowers and waited.  We’ll see how she reacts.

Not sure what else special we can come up with for today, what with all the tourists in town and all.  She does want to eat somewhere nice that’s not Jack in the Box (been there, done that), but not quite so nice as Gaidos.  What a great girl.  Gotta convince that gal of mine that she is something really special.  See our actual anniversary day … THE day … is today.  June 6, 1975.  40 years. 

Happy Anniversary, Chris.  I love you.

Proverbs 31:10 says,A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.”


Father, thank you for the most incredible gift I have ever received from you outside of salvation … my wife.  Bless her.  Surround her with your love and protection.  Give her strength and energy.  And most of all grant her your peace that passes all understanding.  Amen.

No comments: