Friday, June 12, 2015

June 12 – “Fire Department Check-in”

It took almost a week of catching up, but I was finally able to make it to a few of the fire stations yesterday.  Three of them, actually.  Spent some time talking with the crew that included one of the newer hires over at Station Four.  Adam is a Jamaica Beach product, so he was already family to me.  At Station Five I just listened in on the lively chatter about promotions and refrigerators and how stations should be constructed.  You know, just family stuff.  I actually went to Central first to check in with the chief.  We are hosting a big fire convention in town this weekend, and he and I both have a spot on the program, so I wanted to let him know I was back and would be there.  And, yes, I wanted to show off my own personal souvenir from our trip (the baseball bat cane from the Louisville Slugger museum).  The chief is quite a fire department history buff, so I took him some photos from that fire museum we discovered in Indiana.  Apparently when our new station one is built there will be a spot for displaying some of the historical artifacts we have related to Galveston’s history.  And the station’s design will match the historical feel of downtown Galveston.  I’m anxious to see that.  He gave me a copy of the department’s 2014 annual report. Very slick magazine format.  Nicely done.  And I’m even included in the organizational chart.  That was quite an honor for me.  I’m listed across the chart from none other than the Amazing Trish. That’s an honor in itself.  I hope someday I can approach knowing some of the things she does about fire department operations.  Oh, and speaking of magazines, the Galveston Monthly has a good historical article about that home dedication we went to a while back.  It’s about the home of the guy who was fire chief during the 1900 Storm.  Even has a Galveston Fire Department photo within.  Get one of your very own free at your local bank or barber shop. 

There was a group touring Station One under the watchful eye and well-informed tutelage of Trish.  That’s a fairly common occurrence.  For this group Trish had to speak a line or two and then wait for the English to Spanish interpreter to catch up with her.  As usual she handled it masterfully.  They were fascinated by the pictures of fire fighters on the walls.  Standing in the background trying to learn from the master myself, I was approached by one lady with a question: “Are there any women?”  I was happy to point out the photo of Tanya Ovalle.  As they left the office area, another lady noticed my cane and said, “You should really Pinterest that.” (Pinterest?  What’s that?  Chris just found a good place to display it.  I’m not going to stick pins in it).  As luck would have it, Engine Two arrived right after that for the group to see.  None other than (drumroll here) Captain Tanya herself was on duty.  And after the demonstration, the crew got a call and had to rush away, lights and sirens blazing.  Quite the inspiring scenario for the youngsters.  Kind of a proud feeling for me. 

Psalms 33:20 says, We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.”


Father, protect the fire fighters as they carry out their calls on shift today.  And give them rest and peace when they are at the station and at home.  Amen.

No comments: