Monday, June 22, 2015

June 22 – “Eat your heart out, Paladin”

Well, it was back into the world of sermons and singing yesterday.  First Sunday teaching since we returned from vacation.  I had the perfect approach to the day planned, too.  Fishing, Fathers, and Faith.  Unbeatable combination, isn’t it?  The story was from the Book of John when Jesus appeared to the disciples who have gone fishing.  It was the after-the-resurrection time.  What better story for Father’s Day than going fishing with Jesus?  It seemed to be well-received.  Wes did a children’s sermon using one of those magnet on a string fishing poles.  He created a pond out of an extension cord and filled it with paper fish with paper clip noses.  As the kids caught a fish they read the little Bible verses on them.  Very cute stuff. 

I had one of the kids pass out fishing bobbers to everyone (What do you call them?  I remember them as corks and my Dad’s favorite term for them was plugs).  That was to get them in the fishing mood.  I had a few of our old deep sea rods and reels there for effect.  I also had my raggedy fishing hat, but I forgot to put it on.  To kick off the teaching I asked everyone what was the most fish they ever caught at one time.  Followed that up by showing a few of the pictures from Dad’s Cavalier days.  Huge catches.  And speaking of huge, I then asked what their biggest catch was.  That meant I had to show the photo of my brother and me standing next to the big old warsaw.  Classic shot. 

After church we went up into Texas to the hospital.  Little Haisley Anderson had just had some emergency brain surgery.  She was still in ICU, but she woke up for a few seconds while we were there.  Long enough to grab one French fry and hang onto it for dear life.  I remember that feeling, Hais.  Hospital food, right?  We didn’t stay all that long.  Just got the word that Haisley had done well and the docs were pleased with the surgery.  Before we prayed together we let them know that the church had had a special prayer for her that morning.  Chris had a sweet story to share with them as well.  She is in charge of the preschoolers during worship.  Sometimes they go into our play room, and sometimes they come out into the worship center.  We’re really flexible.  Yesterday we were having prayer for Haisley when one of the little three year olds whispered, “What are they doing?” Chris explained that we were praying – talking to God.  The little one thought for a long moment, and then added, “Is it for that little baby?”  Hey, folks, those little guys are hearing lots more than you may give them credit for.  Chris gathered her and another little one into her lap and the three of them had their own special prayer meeting for Baby Haisley.  Wow.  Talk about taking advantage of teachable moments.  Nice job, Chris.

Last night was pretty special as well.  Nathan and April invited us over for burgers.  They had just got a new backyard table and chairs set and wanted to show it off.  Little did we know that they had also invited Kel and Christina and their kids.  What had already been a good one suddenly became a really Grand Father’s Day for me.  And when we got home it wasn’t long before Josh gave me a call, and we talked for almost an hour. 

And I have to brag on the gift I got from Nathan and April and Cailyn.  Those of you who followed our travel exploits of the last few weeks might remember that one of my determined goals was to learn how to do a selfie.  I’m not so sure how well I did.  Chris did her best, I know.  She always had to tell me, “You have to hold it up higher,” and “Get it further back.”  The jury is still out on that one, I guess.  Well, Nathan and April apparently noticed my distress.  They gifted me with … a selfie stick.  Amazing contraption.  Blue tooth operated.  On-stick mirror for taking high definition selfies.  Truly wondrous.  Chris liked it, too.  She’s ready to go on another trip now.  She mentioned the Big Bend country.  Never been there, that’s for sure.  But wherever we go, I’m ready now.  Have Selfie Stick, Will Travel.  Eat your heart out, Paladin. 

Psalms 127:3-5 says, Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.  They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.”


Father, thank you for those marvelous creatures that caused me to be called “Daddy.” And for those equally wonderful ladies who stepped in at their sides and became the daughters I never had.  And for the little guys who call me “DadDad.”  Bless ‘em all, because I really do love ‘em.  Amen.

No comments: