Friday, June 26, 2015

June 26 – “Sage words”

It was really hot here on the Island yesterday.  Not supposed to be any cooler today, either.  I know about the heat firsthand because yesterday was also mow the grass day.  That fabulous adventure that all homeowners with yards must experience firsthand to truly appreciate.  Nothing quite like it, especially when it gets up to 88 degrees and 95%humidity by 9:30 in the morning.  Sad thing is, I’ll still have to mow the grass come August when the first part of that equation reaches close to 100 degrees.  Tropical Island Paradise. 

The second part of my goal for the day was to get the new workbench at least placed where it will live most of the time and then to pull out Dad’s vise and see what it will take to get it bolted down.  That involved clearing off the old table I have been using, moving it out of the way, and rolling the bench into its place.  Piece of cake, right?  Well, not so much.  Oh, I managed to get the table cleared and all.  Cailyn even helped me move it into the house.  But the first issue involved what we uncovered.  Now, I’m a pretty good packer, and I do my best to make the most of the space available to me.  So underneath that table was a myriad of hidden treasures.  I found an antique drill set, and an antique parasol and an entire bucket full of sockets for wrench sets (And I thought I was finished with those after our freebie trip to Sears the other day).  I still have an entire bucket full to process now.  There were numerous leftover pieces of the tile that adorns our house.  Oh, and the two garbage bags of coke cans ready to take to the recycle center.  We got all of that moved out of the way and rolled the new workbench into place … only to find that the drain for the hot water heater (just on the other side of the wall) hits the bottom shelf.  It needs about another inch to have clearance.  Aargh.  It actually wouldn’t be that hard a fix, though.  Just have to flip the bench over, unscrew the shelf, move it an inch, and rescrew it.  So did I do that?  Nah.  It was getting late in the afternoon and we still had to go get some groceries, so I just piled everything back on it, pulled the old table back in the garage and walked away.  Always great to know you have a project waiting for you.

The whole food run was because we were expecting visitors.  Josh and Christi and their boys arrived late last night – around ten.  They had to blow off some travel steam, so the boys finally headed for bed around eleven.  We stayed up and talked with Josh and Christi until around midnight.  That’s when Josh started crashing out.  Hey, when bedtime hits … bedtime hits.  Sage words.

Psalms 34:12-14 says, Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.  Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.”


Father, thank you for the safety you granted Josh and his family on their nighttime drive.  Amen.

No comments: