Friday, June 19, 2015

June 19 – “A Bertie Botts Bible Study”

What is there to write about when I spent the entire morning (after water exercise) working on sermons and the Bible Study for Home Group, and the better part of the afternoon fighting exhaustion in front of the Astros game on TV?  It had to be exhaustion.  Why else would I fall asleep during an Astros game?  I did wake up in time to see them win the game.  Saw the two big home runs as well.  Go Astros.

Home Group went well.  Wes came with his guitar, so we had some live music.  He set a few of the Psalms to music.  Very pretty stuff.  Our group was small, though.  Anne and Cedric were out studying.  Janell was not feeling well, but Corey and Brennan came.  Not sure where Bryan and Jennifer were.  The teaching was on craving the pure spiritual milk of the Word of God.  That called for something special to start it off.  First I asked what everyone’s favorite food was.  That ranged from Chris’ Mexican to my fried shrimp to Betty’s favorite – chocolate.  Then I asked if they were “try-ers or if they shied away from new foods.  Every one of them insisted that try-er was an accurate description.  Perfect.  I had them set up.  So I pulled out a box of the ever-infamous, Harry Potter classic, “Bertie Botts’ Every Flavor Jelly Beans.”  That’s the kind with flavors like skunk spray and rotten egg and vomit.  I didn’t tell them at first.  Just let each person pick one and try it.  There were a few turned up noses, but they all ate and swallowed.  Then I let them choose another one, and this time I told them the delectable flavor possibilities.  And this time they still tasted, but with much greater care.  Corey admitted that his first one might have been grass clippings.  Wes ran to the kitchen for a napkin to spit his out.  Not sure which one he had, but he was up again to deal with the after-taste by grabbing a cookie. 

All in all, a great intro to desiring the spiritual food that is the Word of God.  The discussion was not bad, either.  Best observation of the night?  It’s really hard to crave the Word – to read the Bible - when you can’t understand what it is you are reading.  Answer?  Ask for help.  Use a modern translation.  Don’t try to read too much at a time.  Don’t try to go deep into word studies and such; just spend time with Jesus and let the words speak to you, personally. 

Psalms 57:1-3 says, Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.  I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.  He shall send from heaven, and save from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.”  KJV


Father, thank you for keeping the Bible around for so long.  It sure is nice to have access to what you have already said during those times when we just can’t seem to make connections with you otherwise.  Amen.

No comments: