Thursday, June 18, 2015

June 18 – “A long wait”

I spent most of the morning yesterday working on a sermon.  Imagine that.  A pastor actually working on a sermon.  It’s been so long since I’ve had to do that.  Almost couldn’t remember how.  I’m pretty sure between the Lord and me we can come up with something by Sunday morning.

The doctor’s office called to reschedule my checkup appointment.  I don’t even know what happens at a checkup appointment.  I can’t remember ever having one since I was a kid.  The nice lady said he had an opening on June 2nd or 3rd.  Since I was pretty sure yesterday was June 17th, I was somewhat puzzled, then kind of tickled at her mistake.  That’s a long wait.  I asked her to please repeat what she had said, and it came out the same - June 2nd or 3rd.  I couldn’t stand it, so I finally asked, “So the next appointment is in 2016?”  Long pause.  “But Dr. Hurt won’t even be here next year …” she managed to get out.  Now chuckling, I said, “So … JUNE 2nd or 3rd?”  That did it.  She realized she had the wrong month and quickly apologized, grateful that I was laughing with her.  The sad part of the whole thing?  She is right.  My doctor is leaving town, as has every single doctor I have ever signed on with since we moved back to Galveston.  Hey, all you docs out there.  Trying to get away from the Island?  Give me a call.

Speaking of moving, our afternoon was spent house hunting.  Long pause for effect … No, we’re not going anywhere, unless it’s to evacuate ahead of a storm.  Kel and Christina are house hunting up in Texas, and they invited us to tag along.  We played dodge drops with the remnants of Tropical Storm Bill the whole time.  We still are this morning, in fact.  This dude has a really long tail.  I understand he’s wreaking havoc up in Dallas/Fort Worth now.  Hope you guys can use the rain.  We saw a couple of really nice houses in LaMarque.  One they seemed to like was on a cul-de-sac with lots of trees and some really big rooms.  The other one was nicely done inside, but the rooms were very choppy, and the only things that seemed “big” were a master bedroom addition and the laundry room.  It felt like we were walking through HGTV.  It’ll be interesting to see if they choose one of those.

    
Psalms 34:4-5 says, I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.”


Father, help Kel and Christina in their search and in their decision–making.  A new home is one of the big ones.  Amen.

No comments: