Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 23 – “A reel transformation”

I went out into the garage yesterday and sort of longingly looked around.  We bought a new garage door opener, but before we install it, I’m going to have to make some room for the ladder.  That means rearranging boxes and sawhorses and a wheelchair and a walker and a kids’ bicycle and an antique horse riding toy and fishing paraphernalia … you get the idea.  A lot of the stuff belongs in our already overcrowded attic.  Much of it belongs in a garage sale or out on the street to find a new home with whoever might stop by to rescue it, even if the rescuer “happens” to work for the city sanitation division.  It is kind of an overwhelming sight.  I don’t think we would come close to making a good episode of Hoarders yet, but there is a lot of stuff in there. 

So while I was eyeballing and mentally planning my first move, Chris and Cailyn came out to check on me.  And so it began.  Chris was in full Spring cleaning mode.  Now for most people that means actual cleaning of things, and that is partly the case with Chris.  But her Spring cleaning is oh-so much more.  In most cases it means a semi-major (is that a word?) renovation project, or at least some custom built-in feature is on the way.  Always an exciting time, believe me.  It would be a little easier for me to handle if her plans were written down in architectural drawings, or even on a list on the back of an old napkin.  But with Chris, the whole room takes on a life of its own.  Shelves move or are created from a stack of old boards.  Piles of storage boxes are magically transformed into … well, I can’t wait to see what.  And it all happens in her mind.  She can see it.  And invariably … I can’t.  Oh, I do my best, but I have to grunt my way through by physically moving things around and then stepping back to see if it works.  Sometimes I get it right (by “right” I mean it matches the picture in Chris’s head).  Often … not.  But I have to be honest.  It is a lot of fun to do things like that with Chris.  That magical place inside her skull can come up with some truly amazing things.  I finally told her yesterday that I am happy being the Chip to her Joanna.  Now how many out there understand that reference?

As it turned out, we did make one garage decision and one house interior design decision.  We might have gotten more done, but Cailyn fell asleep in my lap out in the garage.  Endless design talk is just not the most exciting afternoon for a six-year-old, I’m afraid.  Our next step in the garage transformation will be to build my new workbench.  I’ve been revising plans for that for several years now – written plans.  We made some new adjustments to those plans, and I think they are ready to go.  I texted Nathan and got on his list for some help installing the garage door opener.  But the interior design change was unexpected. 

We made two end tables from the remnants of Mom’s old dining room table after Hurricane Ike ruined it.  One of them found a home right away, and is now under the window in the dining area.  The other one, however got moved around from under the other window to behind the couch and finally to its current spot – languishing in the garage, waiting for the right moment when Chris’ internal vision meter kicked in and the time was right for its new placement.  That happened yesterday.  The old/new end table is now resting comfortably in its new home, as if it was custom built just for that spot.  Where?  In the bathroom.  Never would have thought to put it there, but that’s why I’m just the brawn here, I guess.  And in keeping with the Galveston theme of the room, we brought in one of Dad’s old deep sea fishing poles and a few reels to add to the decor.  A “reel” bathroom transformation.  Once again, I am in awe of my wife that special little corner of her brain that houses that interior designer.  Come by and ask to use our bathroom so you can see what she has done.

Psalms 34:8 says, Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.”


Father, thank you for all the creative ability you have given us.  Chris has  found a great way to use hers.  Amen.

No comments: