Saturday, May 3, 2014

May 3 – “Snake Sighting Rules”

We finally had a semi-quiet day yesterday.  Chris spent some time out in the yard, which she has been wanting to do for weeks.  I started wading through all the sympathy cards and notes attached to flowers that we received, as well as the sign-in list from the viewing and funeral, so that I could make a master list and eventually get started on thank you notes.  That looms as somewhat of a daunting task.  I’m counting on my brothers to know who some of these people are, though.  I sure have no idea on some of them.  Most of the names seem to be falling nicely into categories.  Family.  Neighbors.  Friends.  Organizations.  Fascinating how we can “fit” our relationships into categories like that. 

We also drove out to Seaside to vote.  No particular reason why we went all the way out there other than … we could.  They even asked us why we drove so far.  That was actually kind of funny.  I paused for a second or two before I answered, “Well, I’m the pastor here.”  The poor lady who asked was mortified and embarrassed.  No reason she should have known, though.  Her co-workers did tease her a bit more, though.  Another worker confessed that she had read through one of the books she had found in a box outside my office.  It was one of the copies of the Gospel of John that we gave away at the sunrise service.  I assured her that she could not only read it.  She could keep it and take as many as she wanted with her to give away to friends and relatives.  She replied, “Maybe should have just been giving them to people as they came in to vote.”  That got the attention of the election judge sitting nearby.  I assured him that although that was perfectly fine with me, they might face more than a little bit of opposition if they tried it in this context.  The judge quickly, but good-naturedly chimed in with some quote about separating church and state.  Then he added, “But I think I will take a few home to my grandkids.” 

Sigh.  All in all it sounds like we had a pretty boring day.  Nice.  I guess I need to spice it up a little bit, so here’s a quick Cailyn anecdote from some weeks ago.  She and I were taking a walk along the sidewalk.  As we passed an overgrown part of 40 Steps (our affectionate family name for the vacant lot next door), Cailyn stopped and stared at it for a few seconds, then said,
“Daddy said if I ever see a snake to come get him and he’ll kill it with his gun.” 

I assured her that was always a good response to a snake sighting.  I squared up my shoulders and continued as strongly as I could sound,
“If you see one while you are here with us, you be sure and come tell me and I’ll take care of it.”

Cailyn looked up at me those beautiful, brown, adoring eyes, patted me on the hand and said,
“Yeah, DadDad.  I’ll get you and then we can FaceTime my Daddy together.”

John 15:9-11 says, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”

Father, thank you for little joys that add up to overcoming delight.  Amen.

No comments: