Friday, May 16, 2014

May 16 – “Ugly horses”

I know, I know.  I’m a day behind in real time.  It’s all because of those pictures I’ve been posting on Facebook.  If I hadn’t done that you wouldn’t know where we are.  Well, it’s either that or those aliens who built Stonehenge Jr.  But more about them tomorrow.

Day two actually began back in Arlington.  We left the Winkle house and stopped for gas.  And I promptly lost my credit card.  After I paid for the gas at the pump, mind you, so I knew it had to be right there somewhere.  We tore apart the front seat of the car looking for it.  Chris was asking all the right questions.  You know, “Did you take it with you to the bathroom?”  “Is it still in the gas pump?”  “Did it fall under the car?”  She suggested I retrace my steps.  That wasn’t so hard since I had taken more than two or three since I paid.  I knew I had put it in my pocket, but it just wasn’t there.  Finally she asked, “What about your coat?”  Oh, yeah.  I had been wearing a coat when we first got there.  And sure enough, the card was in the coat pocket.  Hey, this one is not about getting old.  This one is all about you’re not supposed to have to wear a coat in May.

We then developed a plan for the day.  Figured we’d keep it simple: go west on I20. Turn left on 281. See the biggest rocking chair in the world. Whatever comes after that will be anticlimactic icing on the cake.  And the big ol’ rocking chair did not disappoint in the least.  It was massive.  They wouldn’t let us crawl up in it and try it out, so that was a disappointment, but then we also saw a ukulele made from a bedpan and barbed wire.  That was a bonus. 

The drive along that particular stretch of US281 was really interesting.  We passed a horse hospital.  The Texas National Guard armory.  A road runner or two, but no coyote.  Lots of hawks.  Chris slammed on the brakes when she saw one particular historical marker.  She turned around so we could take a picture of the Olin Baptist Church.  Quaint little clapboard church out in the middle of nowhere.  I forgot the name of the town we stopped in for lunch, but the place was called the Wenzel Meat Market.  Their ad campaign consisted of a big pig glancing over his shoulder and encouraging everyone to “Bite my butt.”  Now come on, how could we pass that up?  We had a baked potato with some pig barbeque on it.  It was OK.  Kind of sweet.  Wouldn’t go back, though.  Further down the road we saw a huge herd of deer.  That was impressive until we realized they were living the good life on some kind of game preserve.  Next stop was in Lampassas to check out an antique store and go to Dairy Queen.  Gotta do the DQ stop at least once, you know.  As we neared Marble Falls Chris was in the process of yelling at me because I reached for my phone while driving, when we saw what looked like three of the ugliest horses I had ever seen.  They were all shaggy and had skinny legs and really long necks.  The long necks were what made us realize they weren’t ugly horses after all.  They were llamas.  Just where were we anyway?

As we entered the city and stopped at a red light, I got a phone call from another old friend, David Anderson.  Chris actually let me answer this time, but when he started giving me directions to his house in Marble Falls, she made me pull over.  We did connect with David for a while at his new home.  Gorgeous place.  Lots of land, well, rocks.  His backyard is a big creek.  Very quiet and very cool in the evening.  We stayed at a local Holiday Inn Express for the night.  Supper at Chili’s overlooking the river (I don’t know which river.  One of the ones in Texas).  Chris watched the sun set from our hotel window, also overlooking the river.  Very pretty.  I guess the river and the sunset were pretty, too.

Psalms 23:1-3 says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.”

Father, thank you for those quiet waters you gave David in his back yard.  May they calm his spirit every day.  Amen.

No comments: