Tuesday, May 13, 2014

May 13 – “Ironic grief”

No.  We haven’t left yet.  What a way to begin a vacation.  Chris asked me to clear all the pictures from her phone onto the computer.  Not a difficult task.  I have done it many times before.  As soon as we get this done she can delete those thousand pictures (literally, 1,070 pictures) and take some more of our vacation.  And then we can finally be on our way for some much-needed time together.  And so it began.

First the computer indicated that the device drivers for the phone were not properly loaded.  As a result it couldn’t read that it even existed.  I played with that for a while.  Even went online and tried to see how to fix it.  I did find out that the iTunes program recognized the phone, though, so I went ahead with the other issue … updating her phone operating system.  Mistake number two.  Oh, it began the update all right.  Made a backup and everything.  But when it got to the point of restoring the backup to her phone … nothing.  She had a really pretty picture of a USB cable following an arrow in the direction of the iTunes logo.  But it would go no farther.  Now I faced two dilemmas, and both already had me confounded.  Back to the internet, and, as often happens, before I looked up again it was 11:30.  So much for getting on the road early. 

That was enough for me, though.  We went over to the AT&T store to see what they could do to help.  Answer?  “Go home and call Apple support.  We can’t do anything here without a PC.”  I told him I had one in the car.  How’s that for thinking ahead?  He backtracked quickly, though.  He didn’t think he could do anything even with a computer.  On a whim we looked at a few of the newer phones (ours is a series 4), but rather than go out on that limb we went back to the house to give customer service a try. 

Four and a half hours later the tech announced, “Gee.  The phone must be broken.  Here are your options for repair or replacement.”  Wow.  An announcement of complete and total destruction.  Death of an iPhone.  And after at least six hours of trying desperately to save it.  We were devastated.  How in the world could we handle this absolute catastrophe?  Could we actually afford to buy a new phone?  How would it affect our plan?  Could Chris really go without a phone?  Oh, the misery of it all.  Alas.  Alack.  Woe. 

And into the midst of our family vacation pity party came a loud, harsh explosion of sound.  What would dare intrude into our personal time of grief?  The telephone, of course.  Our only remaining working cell phone.  Sigh.  I resignedly answered the call, and I’m sure my “hello” was not the usual cheery greeting one might expect.  But the voice on the other end was undeterred, almost as if she expected me to be in the doldrums.  Who was this woman?  I sat up in my chair as she introduced herself, and almost fell off the chair when she identified herself as … “a hospice grief counselor just calling to see how you were doing in dealing with your grief.”  I bit my bottom lip and answered as respectfully as I could that we were doing fine.  We were surrounded by family and friends and our church, so we had lots of support.  Chris looked at me quizzically, and I whispered to her who it was.  It was no help to me at all when she covered the grin and muffled the chuckle rapidly escaping from her mouth.  I ended the call with my thanks and when we were certain the phone was positively off … both of us exploded in laughter.  What perfect timing.  She had no idea how much we needed that phone call at just that moment.  Now we could indeed continue with our iPhone grieving process, but do it with an ironic grin. 

James 5:13 says, “Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.”

Father, thank you for the “happy” in the midst of “consternation.”  Never knew it could be spelled that way.  Amen.

No comments: