Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January 29 – “Random thoughts”

Well it looks like our horrendous winter storm event is about to end without us seeing much of anything here on the Island.  Oh, it’s still 29 degrees right now, but I understand it will be closer to 60 tomorrow and 70 by Friday.  Then it’ll be time to release Chris’ outside plants from their draped prison and allow them to see the sun once again.  Oh, and hope that we’re about done with the frigid air. 

At least Easter comes a little later this year.  What does that have to do with anything?  Well, our first baptisms of the year at Seaside usually come during our Easter sunrise service on the beach.  The later in the year Easter happens, the longer the beach water temperature has to rise to more bearable levels.  We have done some pretty chilly baptisms out there in the Gulf of Mexico. 

We just had one of those twisty-curly looking light bulbs give up the ghost this morning.  I’m not sure how long it has been operating in my home office pole lamp.  It was our first foray into the high tech world of curly-cue light bulbs.  I think it lasted almost a year, so I guess that’s good.  They sure seem expensive, though.  Especially the three-way version like this one was. 

We discovered a new show on Netflix a while back.  It’s called The 4400.  All about 4400 people who were abducted by what they thought were aliens.  Turned out it was by people in the future.  Then they were all sent back to the same place at the same point in time.  And each of them had been given some kind of unusual power that they were supposed to figure out how to use to save the world from the horrible fate that awaited it in the future.  There have been some fun episodes with weird powers and the inevitable struggle between good and evil.  We started season four last night, and Chris looked it up online to see how many more episodes there were.  She found out that it was abruptly canceled after the season we were about to begin due to budgetary constraints.  And apparently there was a major cliffhanger episode that ended it all, so there is no resolution.  Aargh.  Now I’m torn.  Should I even bother watching the rest of it?

I thought Cailyn would be here this morning for us to take her to school, but so far she’s a no-show.  I guess April must have a late start day today and she’s taking her.  Oh, well, it’ll give me some more time to work on the teachings for this week. 

Hmm.  It’s amazing how much random stuff I can come up with when I have absolutely nothing to say.  Kind of gives me a headache, though.  I’ll try to take better notes today.

Matthew 6:33-34 says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Father, thank you for the occasional quiet days where not much seems to happen.  I could probably use a few more of those.  But then I really don’t like being bored.  I’ll trust you to handle the events of my day.  One day at a time.  Amen.

No comments: