Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 19 – “Color coding”

Well I was sent on a mission on Friday.  Since I was already headed to WalMart to gather some supplies for Chris to make dips and punch for Cailyn’s birthday party, one more thing was added to my list.  Now let me say upfront that I did volunteer for this mission, hazardous as it may sound.  Nathan was headed over to borrow some tables and April wanted some table covers.  Sounds simple enough, right?  That’s what I thought.  Until the rest of the instructions came forth.

“You need to get pink one.  But not just any pink.  You need to get light pink, not that bright hot pink.”  OK.  Wait a minute.  Really?  Now you are putting restrictions?  And based on color of all thing?  You want me to make a decision about color?  How important are these table covers to you, anyway?  Now don’t get me wrong.  I’m happy to do it.  I’ll be there anyway.  Just give me more to go on than shades of color.  That aspect of my eyesight just doesn’t work that way (differentiating shades of color – they all look the same to me).  April told me exactly where in WalMart I would find them, and then she said the magic words, “they will have the color printed on the package.”  Well, why didn’t you tell me?  That changes everything.  No stress.  Just read.  How hard can it be?

Yep.  That was meant to be a literary tool.  It’s called foreshadowing. 

When I left for WalMart Chris remembered something else April had said.  She was looking for pink and brown bandanas for the party, and the ones they ordered looked like they weren’t going to get here in time.  So Chris said I should check at WalMart to see if they had any.  Again, I figured I could handle that one.  I went straight to the crafts and fabric department to get that one out of the way.  And it didn’t take long.  They had some red ones (that’s the color bandanas are supposed to be).  They had some blue ones (I have seen blue before as well).  They even had some white ones (very strange looking).  But no pink or brown.  I even asked the lady working there.  She found some “bandana material” (who knew there was such a thing), but none in pink or brown.  So much for that task.  On to the table covers. 

And there they were.  Table covers of all colors.  Blue.  Green.  Yellow.  And … Pink.  But not just one pink.  No, that would be too easy.  They had “Lovely pink” (looked to be a good candidate), and D pink (That one scared me.  I was afraid “D” might stand for “Dark”), and Diva pink (you’ve got to be kidding me, and finally “Elegant pink” (that one had all sorts of designs swirling around on it).  Great.  Many choices.  And then I had an idea.  I snapped a picture of the one marked “Purple” and sent it to April, asking if this one would work.  Didn’t take long to get a response, either.  She just about panicked.  I think her response was something like, “No, that’s purple!” quickly followed up with, “I can get it myself.”  That was fun.  I finally did calm her down and assure her that I was kidding.  I ended up going with “Lovely pink.”  Hope it works.

Psalms 84:1-2 says, “How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty!  My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”

Father, thank you for all those shades of color, even when I can’t tell the difference between them.  It just goes to show that you have an eye for all this beauty you have created.  Amen.

 

No comments: