Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 1, 2014 – “ … the igloo of interest …”

What a New Year’s Eve we had.  In that one day we had all the elements of life that one could ever hope for.  Anticipation.  Suspense.  A major crisis.  A last minute heroic rescue.  Drama.  Tedium.  Excitement.  Sweetness.  Treachery.  Romance.  What more could anyone ask to start the New Year?  Once again the Vaughan household proves itself as the place to be, the site of sites, the igloo of interest, the establishment of enthusiasm.  What’s that?  You want details?  Are you sure you can handle them?  Well, all right.  Here goes …

I made a visit to fire station number four to return the dishes I borrowed on Christmas Eve.  They sent me home that night with enchiladas and bean soup.  Good stuff.  I sat together with the crew for a few minutes, wondering what sort of crazies would be out later in the evening.  Anticipation.  

We ordered some paneling from McCoy’s for some repairs at the church.  A phone call in the morning revealed that no one there knew anything about the order.  We were assured, however, that the order would be in the store by three o’clock.  Would it actually arrive?  Would the project have to be put on hold?  Suspense.

As it turned out, the paneling did get there.  Since I have a truck, I went to pick it up and deliver it to the church.  My plans were to get it inside and check on a few things while I was there.  But wait.  As I set the final sheet of paneling on the church porch and reached into my pocket, I realized … that I had forgotten to pick up my church keys.  A major crisis.

I made a desperate phone call, and Ned, the hero of the day, assured me he would see to it that the paneling made its way indoors within the next few minutes.  Truly a last minute heroic rescue.

Once I made it home and realized that the Aggie football game didn’t start until 7:30, we started trolling Netflix.  And there we discovered a new series that made it through 23 episodes.  It was based on the DC comics character Green Arrow – loosely based – and was called, amazingly enough, Arrow.  Within two episodes we were hooked.  Drama. 

I suppose drama is something that can be quite different for everyone.  It was certainly a perspective issue around here for Mom.  She kept slumping over onto the couch and dozing off.  And Chris kept “assuring” her it was not yet time for bed.  Finally, when Chris woke her up to help her get ready for bed, a startled Mom turned the tables with her quip, “Are you all right?”  Tedium.

And finally the Aggies football game began.  And finally, they made an unheard-of, incredible, come-from-behind victory.  Excitement. 

As a special treat, Chris made a batch of her famous homemade caramel popcorn for us to enjoy during the game.  Sweetness. 

Then there was that unbelievable moment just before halftime in said football game, when the Duke coached called for an on-sides kick … and it was successful.  Treachery. 

And finally, the evening drew to a close.  After managing to stay awake past midnight (thanks to Johnny Football and Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow character), I shared an all-too brief kiss and a toast (in some old plastic kids’ take-home cups from Luby’s) of chilled sparkling grape juice with the love of my life.  Romance.

As I said, what more could anyone ask?  Happy New Year.

Lamentations 3:22-23 says, “Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”

Father, thank you for giving us one more shot at this life thing.  How about you take the lead this year?  Amen.

No comments: