Friday, January 17, 2014

January 17 – “A Prediction”

Well, I tried my hand … er, rather feet, I guess … at the balance beam in the playground outside Cailyn’s school.  Not a pretty picture.  Thank goodness it was only about six inches off the ground.  And that the ground was covered with those wood shavings.  She did great on her turn, though.  Really shamed me.  She did take one picture of me making my stand on one foot.  That’s what I’ll hang onto – photographic evidence. 

We did have one of those once-in-a-lifetime discussions while we were there.  I have no idea what brought it on, but here’s the transcript.  See what you think.

Cailyn: “DadDad, when I get thirteen, you’ll be died.”

Wait, that’s only 8 more years.  That means I’ll just be 68.  I scrambled to answer.

Me: “But you said I could dance with you at your wedding.”

Cailyn (pensively): “Oh, yeah.  So you’ll wait to be died then.”

Not a question.  That was a statement of fact.

Me: “Well, that’s good.  Especially since your Daddy says you can’t get married until you are 35.” 

That’ll get me to at least 90.

Cailyn: “No, DadDad.  He said not until 50.  So you have to wait.”

Fifteen more years.  Hmm.  That puts me at 105.  Wonder if I’ll still be able to cut a rug?  Well, maybe Luke can push me around in my wheelchair.  

Proverbs 9:10-11 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.  For through me your days will be many, and years will be added to your life.”

Father, I’ll sure take whatever years you want to give me.  Just help me be helpful while I am around.  Amen.

No comments: