Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May 1 – “Noisy”


I have one word to describe yesterday: noisy.  We are baby-sitting Kel’s three boys until their Mom comes home from the hospital with their new baby sister.  Cailyn came over as well to play with her cousins while her Mom went to class.  Just the right combination for a wild and crazy – and loud – day. 

My intention was to go to the church for our Beth Moore Bible Study, but as often happens in the home of a pastor, I received a phone call before I left that ended up being a counseling session of just over an hour.  And with all the hubbub in the house, I had to sit on the front porch to be able to hear.  Of course being nearly deaf, especially when talking on the phone, didn’t help any. 

After the counseling call I had another phone call from a lady who wants me to do her wedding ceremony at the San Luis Hotel on the 19th.  That’s usually a no-brainer.  I love weddings.  The whole concept is all about joy and happiness and positive things.  I really like being a part of making that happen for people.  This one in particular had two glitches, though.  First, it was going to be on a Sunday, so I had to make sure it would be an afternoon affair.  It was.  Secondly, the bride is Muslim and the groom is essentially agnostic.  Now that kind of comment always intrigues me.  Sure enough she wanted to know just how “non-denominational” I could make the service.  To her credit she didn’t mind at all having a Christian service because she really wanted the whole “walk down the aisle” experience.  She was just concerned that her family not be too confused or offended.  I gave her a summary of my approach, which compares marriage to the relationship God wants to have with each of us.  It actually presents the plan of salvation through comparisons like: God gave Adam someone more special than the animals, so the groom considers his wife to be special as well.  And: Jesus began his ministry at a wedding which led to the greatest wedding gift of all – the chance for us to have a relationship with God that is just as intimate as the relationship of a married couple. She asked me to email her the gist of the service so they could look at it, so it’s not a done deal yet.  I sure hope they approve, because their guests will all be from Europe and Canada, and it sounds like they sure do need Jesus. 

The noisy day continued at Jachin’s baseball game.  He went three for three and ended up knocking in the two tying runs.  His team won the game in the bottom half of the last inning when a kid stole home.  Very exciting stuff.  The best part of the evening for the boys, though, was a tie between the FaceTime phone call with Mommy and Baby Noa from the hospital and the fact that Daddy came to the game and then over to our house to hang out for a while.  I think they are ready to get back to being a family again, and learning how to be big brothers to a … to a Girl.

Psalms 89:9 says, “You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them.”

Father, thank you for noisy days.  They are so full of life.  Amen.

No comments: