Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21 – “It was Monday”

Mondays sure are strange days for me.  I’m usually still recovering from the intensity that is Sunday.  Even when Sunday goes really well, it is still a stress-filled day with teachings and meetings and greetings and such.  It takes a day or two to recuperate, not so much physically as emotionally and mentally.  So most of the time I try to reserve Mondays for computer work.  Yesterday was, then, a typical Monday.  I got next Sunday’s teaching sketched out.  My church website article is done and sent in.  The entries on the church FaceBook page are done.  Birthday and anniversary cards are sent.  I even had time to talk to the fire chief and make a visit to station five.  That’s a pretty good Monday. 

Doesn’t make for a very interesting blog post, though.  You think it’s boring reading so far?  Just try being the one writing it.  Just to add a little bit of flair, here are a few random Cailyn comments I have saved up for these kinds of occasions.

Once when we were at the dinner table getting ready to eat, we all bowed our heads for prayer.  Cailyn snuck a peek and leaned over close to Mom and said, “No, don’t pray to Jesus, MeeMaw.  Jesus is dead.”  OK.  She had half the story down.  I adjusted the prayer that day to thank Jesus for not staying dead.  I’m not sure how much of the theology sunk in, but she did hear the truth. 

She, along with all of our grandkids, except maybe Noa of course, loves to sit in my swivel/rocking office chair.  I’m sure it’s because they are so enamored with the fact that they are allowed to be in the very chair so often occupied by their all-time favorite granddad.  Well, that along with the fact that I spin them around in circles.  Uh, I mean they spin each other around in circles.  One day after an especially rousing series of spins, Cailyn was explaining to Chris how the whole thing works … what it is about going around in circles that carries so much appeal for the young ones.  Cailyn, in her masterful way of boiling down the mysteries of the universe into just a few words, had the answer.  “It makes me busy.”  I know.  Cute, right?  She mispronounced “dizzy.”  Maybe so, but I learned a word a long time ago that is kind of appropriate here.  Double entendre - a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Typically one of the interpretations is rather obvious whereas the other is more subtle.  There you go.  Getting dizzy kept her busy.  Both right.  Good enough for a Monday.

Psalms 91:2 says, “I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’”

Father, draw many to say that of you.  Count me in.  Amen.

No comments: