Sunday, May 19, 2013

May 19 – “Ah, Cailyn”


We had a guest spend the night with us last night.  Oh, she’s been here many times before, but every time she comes something delightfully simple and sweet or perplexingly strange and wonderful happens.  Ah, Cailyn. 

This time I guess her contribution was more along the sweet and simple.  She helped make our supper of bacon and eggs and pancakes – pink pancakes.  She nabbed Chris’ glasses while Nani was in the shower.  Wearing them as she entered the office where I was working, she announced with flair and a flip of her hair, “Look at me, DadDad.”  Who am I to disobey a direct command.  When she had my complete attention she continued, “OK. Now I am Nani, and you are DadDad.”  Whew.  At least I was type-casted.  A role I can actually feel somewhat comfortable playing … me.  Then she took me by the hand.  “Kelley, come with me now.  We’re going outside for a minute.”  I hesitated briefly, then gently objected, “But my name is DadDad.”  In a strikingly diva-ish pose (hands on hips, nose in the air, deep sigh, and slow shake of the head from side to side), she “patiently explained, “But DadDad, don’t you see?  If I’m Nani and you are DadDad, then I call you Kelley.”  Oh.  Makes sense, I suppose.  So I responded, “I see.  So I call you Chris now?  OK, Chris, where are we going?”  It took her a second or two to process the dramatic import of my declaration.  Apparently it would suffice, although I don’t think she was all that happy with her character assignment.  Ah, the struggles of a lead actress. 

The theater theme of the day seemed to continue later when she came into the room with four plastic sunflowers.  Once again she demanded my complete attention before beginning.  She changed arrangements several times.  Two in each hand.  Three in one hand, one in the other.  Three in the other hand, one in the first.  And after each rearrangement came a “Ta-da.”  Every time she counted the sunflowers, and miraculously, every time there were still four of them.  I honored her performance with an “Amazing.”  She looked around as if to see if anyone was listening, and whispered, “I’ve got a system.”  Indeed.  Part two of the act was a bit more difficult.  She somehow twirled the flowers around as she marched back and forth.  This got her more than a little excited, and she began to chant, “I’m an actorbat.  I’m an actorbat.”  Quite impressive.

Then she remembered that today would be Sunday.  That led to a game of Bible Story teacher.  Of course she would be the teacher, and her topic?  Sunflowers.  It was important for her to get the message across that “They turn where the sun turns.”

My personal favorite of the day came in the early evening.  Cailyn was obviously winding down, but it was too early for bed, so Chris admonished her to stay awake for a little while longer.  About that same time Mom, who was sitting at the table, sank her head onto the tabletop.  Chris repeated her admonition in virtually the same words and tone.  This time, however, she had a ready accomplice.  Cailyn assured her, “I’ll make sure Meemaw stays awake.”  She took a seat next to Mom, picked up a can of playdough, and queried, “Hey, MeeMaw, how did you get so old?”  Ah, the question of the ages.

Psalms 90:17 says, “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us — yes, establish the work of our hands.”

Father, may your favor certainly rest on these beautiful women in my life.  Chris and Mom and Cailyn, Christina and Christi and April, and of course, Noa.  Amen.

No comments: