Monday, May 13, 2013

May 13 – “Sparring”

Welcome to holiday uncertainty at Seaside.  That’s the best way I can think of to describe our attendance on any holiday here in the resort capital of Southeast Texas.  This particular holiday was Mother’s Day, of course, and like all others, our attendance could have gone either way.  Would it be packed out with people bringing Mom to church so they can all dress up and make her happy?  Or would they let her sleep in and get an early start for one of the many Mother’s Day brunch specials offered around town?  It has gone both ways in the past and it is impossible to tell from year to year.  In our case this year it was the latter.  We topped out at 26, but they were some of the very best holiday worshippers we have had.  The singing was really good, thanks to Jim and Jimmy Stone and Cory Anderson.  And the children who participated in the kids’ sermon were great.  We had one family visiting from Copperas Cove.  They were staying at the Seaside condominium.  As they got acquainted with our own Temple-area exes, Ned and Nancy, another visitor arrived.  I introduced myself to him and realized that he was from Temple as well, and was even staying at the same condo for the weekend.  I interrupted the Temple old home week and got him plugged into that discussion as well.  It always amazes me how even with just a few folks, God brings the “right” few folks for everyone to feel connected to fellow believers.  Way to go, God.

I stopped on the way home and got some flowers for Mom.  She likes the bright colors, and is especially fond of pink.  That makes it easier for me, since I can’t tell the difference between shades of color anyway.  I found some that fit the bill and she seemed to really like them.  Chris got her phone calls from Josh and Kel, so she was happy.  April and Nathan and Cailyn came over later in the day.  Nathan and April sparred in the kitchen while fixing us some supper, so I had plenty of entertainment.  For some random reason April threw down the gauntlet before Nathan, challenging him early to a rematch of their legendary Christmas sack race.  Word has it that Nathan might have employed less-than legal tactics in his win.  As I recall, April did bite the dust in that one, “somehow” losing her balance mid race.  She assured him, however, that now that school was over she intended to be doing some serious training.  She also had another plan in mind.  It involved something about making sure he was well-fed between now and December.  She figured a few extra pounds might slow him down just enough.  I don’t want to say that the girl has some devious intent there, but …

Oh, and while all this scrapping was taking place in the kitchen, Chris was busy having a Nani Makeover from Cailyn.  Manicure, pedicure, hair curling with some kind of device.  I’m still not sure what all went into that process.  Chris came out of it with painted fingernails and toenails and a coat of makeup on her face.  Cailyn had on false fingernails that kept falling off.  Don’t remember our boys ever providing that sort of personal service for Mother’s Day.  I told Cailyn I was jealous and I wanted one of those makeovers next time she came over.  Her mother assured me she wouldn’t forget.  Uh-oh.  Any suggestions on toenail color? 
                          
Psalms 90:1-2 says, “Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations.   Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.”

Father, thank you again for my mother and for the time you have given me with her.  And thank you for the mother of my children and the mothers of my grandchildren.  Keep them all happy.  Amen.

No comments: