Sunday, May 12, 2013

May 12 – “Happy birthday, Josiah”

Well, let’s look at that agenda again.  Didn’t work out so well this time.  I did meet Nathan early on to get some tables for their graduation party.  Not a problem there at all.  But when I called the bride to let her know I was on my way, she struggled to get out, “Well, uh, I’ve been watching the weather reports.  It’s stopped raining here.  And the wind has stopped gusting.  And it’s supposed to clear off.  And it looks like it is clearing off.  And … and … I just don’t know what to do.”  Clearly not an ideal situation – a bride having to make a major decision about venue on the morning of her scheduled 1:30 wedding.  She finally determined that she would like to go for the outside spot.  I assured her that we could make a hasty retreat to the church if we were forced to.  As it turned out the weather was beautiful and the site they picked out was gorgeous as well.  Water in the background always adds the perfect touch as far as I’m concerned. 

I had the agenda situation well in hand when I arrived on site around one.  The wedding would take around fifteen minutes.  I could excuse myself rather quickly and swing by Nathan’s to see if Cailyn wanted to go to Josiah’s party that started at two in LaMarque.  Chris and Mom would already be there, so we could then all return to the graduation party and have a hamburger.  Perfect plan?  Indeed.  But I have been doing weddings long enough to know that there has never been a perfect wedding, at least not in my little segment of the history of man. 

Sure enough, as I pulled out the book I took with me just in case, there were three people present at one.  A few more arrived by the time 1:25 came around.  And right at 1:30, when I finally exited the truck, the groom walked up.  OK.  So this one would be a late starter.  Little did I know at the time what an incredible understatement that would prove to be.  I began to observe the comings and goings, and finally figured out that everyone was somehow connected to the house right next door.  They either lived there or had rented it for the weekend.  And that’s where the bride was.  1:45 came and went.  I watched the children play for a while, clad in their matching outfits.  2:00 came and went.  The best man and the husband of the photographer were struggling to get the music system to work properly.  A sit turned out, the CD they were using was really dirty.  After they cleaned it off the music sounded great.  2:15 came and went.  I began to hear shouts back and forth from the house to the people milling around under the pavilion.  The bride’s grandmother appeared, made her way down the stairs and over to where we waited.  She was my connection to the whole process.  She attends Seaside pretty regularly.  Here presence could only be a good thing.  2:30 came and went.  And finally the bell dropped.  The starter’s gun went off.  The green light appeared.  Or whatever other image you can think of that means “Let’s get this thing started.”  Official start time?  Let’s change that from 1:30 to 2:40.  Wonder which I should write on their marriage license when I fill it out?

We got them hitched and everyone was happy.  I never made it to Josiah’s party.  I went by Nathan’s and Cailyn was busy plating on the huge waterslide they rented.  She was happy to stay where she was.  I picked up their two dogs (a Boston Terrier and a boxer.  A big boxer), and ferried them to our house to spend the evening with Heidi and Fritz (our two dogs).  The boxer cracked me up.  As the terrier paced around trying to find a suitable spot to settle down, the boxer promptly sat down in Cailyn’s car seat and stayed there pretty much the whole way.  Very funny picture, but not many could see it.  Chris and Mom came by the house and picked me up so we could return to Nathan’s and grab that hamburger.  It was indeed a hectic day, and I completely missed Josiah’s party, so I decided to put his name in the title.  Seemed the least I could do.  I’ll put up an extra post about Mother’s Day, but for now … Happy birthday, Josiah.  Okay.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 says, “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

Father, thank you that all our plans really don’t matter in the long run.  You are all we really need.  Amen.

No comments: